Tiling

WJT

Suffice to say that was likely the basis of your problem. I shudder to think of how many bathrooms I have tiled over the years. Chipboard is a horrible substrate and you tend to find it in buildings circa 1960s onward when you had a lot of open plan and undersized joists often with little or no herringbone strutting or noggins. The make up of your French floor is?

Big Mac, our floor in the UK was done about four years ago and as I mentioned has been a problem, a problem from the start really. I said they used chip board but don't remember the material just remember them putting large sheets of it on top of the floorboards. It could have even been plywood but not sure.

The upstairs floor in France is floorboards. We are having walls taken down and repositioned at the moment and once they have cleared all of the rubble will take up the carpet, (which is more like velcro that is glued to the floor [blink])and will have a better look.

The dreaded cast iron bath was picked up in the UK today and my husband said it was a nightmare for the removal men to move it two inches to the tailgate of the truck.  He is giving me a hard time for buying it versus a plastic one that he now says he begged me to buy in the first place. He is convinced that we won't be able to get it up the stairs because it would have to be vertical at some stage for the turning. The tiling is now at the bottom of my worry list at the moment.[:'(]

I did say.....................

Righto bath problem.....some fork lift pallets and a french farmer / buildr with a telehandler. Pallets piled to just above window sill height bath on pallet outside (Ratchet strap a good idea tele-handler ath up to window and drag in. Pay farmer a few quid (Considerably chaeaper than a chiropractor) Job jobbed.........

Assuming A) A suitable window is accessible B) You can persuade a farmer to help out. (In our village asking the Maire's secretary usually points us in the right direction).

Now about this tiling...........

Don't think it would fit through the window. The removal people are going to hold it for us until we return in January. Otherwise it is such a shame if this would work because the roofers are here putting on a new roof and they have one of those large cherry pickers (not sure if that is what it's called) they could have easily lifted it. But again I think it would be too big to fit. Looks like a chiropractor job!

Thanks again for the suggestions.[:)]

Thanks Big Mac. I have mentioned the bath to the plumber but didn't ask if he could help get it up the stairs. I am keeping fingers crossed it could somehow be strapped vertically to his hand truck I think they are called that he used when fitting the cast iron rads. He managed this on his own and they are quite heavy. I know it doesn't compare but I am hoping it will work with a few people.

If this doesn't work, I will take your advice and ask our farmer neighbour and if this doesn't work, someone will have a very good bargain on Ebay (along with my head courtesy of my husband). Thank you again.[:)]

Sorry to bring this up again but have time on my hands at the moment during the rain and trying to stay clear of the artisans. [:$]

I have just run across this again, I have saved it from a while back and forgotten about it. Is it too good to be true at only 6mm thick? If it does what it says could be quite good but hard to believe it could provide the same strength as 20mm plywood.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330271267366&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123