Attic conversion

Ian

Hi Ian I cannot give you a definative answer but I can tell you that in many older buildings the "Attics" were grenieres and 'designed' to take a significant dead load in terms of grain. My own conversion the chamber joists are about 7 x 7 oak or I guess thats about 350 x 350 in new money? I operated on the principle that a bed and a wardrobe likely weigh less than the thresher and sacks of grain that used to live there.

Depends on your structure and its intended use I guess. You will likely find that if you put some pics up then some helpful soul will help out.

Welcome aboard!

hi Ian                                                                                                                 

Go to diydoctor.org.uk and check the joist span tables and compare with your exsisting joists.

bob

[quote user="teapot"][quote user="BIG MAC"]

about 7 x 7 oak or I guess thats about 350 x 350 in new money?

[/quote]

Have you been lying the the OH again Big Mac? [:D]

7 x 25.4 =177 in new money or was it the exchange rate [:D]

[/quote]

That may have made more sense if the question had been ..Have you been lying to the OH again Big Mac? Kind of assumes I am a liar...but letting that go ...I would say it was more of a conservative estimate!

If your attic is boarded over, then the likelihood is that the joists are load-bearing. If the joists were only ever meant to hold up a ceiling, then they'll be something like 50 x 75, or 65 x 85. In which case you will have to replace them with something a lot more butch.

Pull up a floorboard and measure the joists.

p