Foundations

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your input.

I've been reading, reading, and reading in learn more about my options.  My husband can't understand my wall obsession.  I just discovered a beautiful stone wall on my property and have spent the whole week uncovering it in preparation for repointing.

I think I have concluded that your idea of small strip footings and a small plinth wall is the best place to start.  I may do it in stone with chaux in order to give it more flexibility with the timber frame. 

Once I get to a certain height.  I think I have also agreed with you that the best course would be to lay down green oak framing above the small wall.  As the entire building will need to be covered in chaux in order to look like the other houses in the street, I'm thinking now about different infill methods, and am very interested on how much fun it would be to do it in torchis (bought by the bag and not made myself).  I know it may prove a bit more expensive, and I certainly don't have money to spare, but I think that I could get a lot of pleasure out of it, it has good insulating properties, and even though I would lose the timber framing on the exterior (DDE's decision, not mine), I would still be able to see all of the beautiful timbers on the interior.  This would also help me with the fact that the exterior of the building can not project any further than it is now due to alignment issues.

This has become my obsession and I cant say how many hours I spend each day researching different techniques. LOL

Lynda

Can't believe that only six weeks after putting in my Permis de Construire, I received the Arrête from the Mairie today. They gave me the Arrête but said that all the documents from DDE have been delayed and to come in to get them in a few days.  I'm hoping that when I receive the rest of the documents, it will tell me what I need to do next.  I think I need to put up a sign for two months so that anyone can complain.  Not too sure, but I'll wait until I get the rest of the information.

I was given approval for my Permis de Construire with some very minor conditions (creme chaux instead of white, grey windows instead of creme, etc).  Am very excited, but I don't think I'm able to go and start pulling everything apart just yet.  LOL

Lynda