Roof tiles

nemltd

My roof was re-roofed with a mechanical tile thingy about 6-8 tiles in area, then 'faced ' or 'topped' with original tiles. You cannot see the difference and the result is MORE weathepoof and cheaper.

I will look up the terminology if you are interested.

John

Thanks John,

This sounds a clever idea, I'd be please if you could find the terminology for me.

If I understand, the undertile mechanical thing waterproofs the roof and then you cover with original tiles, the point being the mechanical thing is cheaper than 'new tiles' and 'underfelt'?

True canal tiles have a slightly conical section and need about a third of their length as overlap. They depend on their taper to stop then sliding down the roof. You need two layers of tiles to form a water tight roof. The cope well with slightly curved and uneven roofs. They eventually break and slip.

The modern mechanical tiles have lugs on the underside to locate them and normally also a hole to allow every third or forth course to be screwed down (if you screw every course you may need to unscrew the whole roof to replace one tile). They have a small say 3 cms overlap which covers and grips the tile to the right and below. They are almost always used on new builds and look a bit bland which is why people, myself included,  cheat with a layer of canal tiles on top to give a weathered look. They need a true roof frame.