Caravan Gas

LPB 2005

I have recently purchased a small caravan to go touring around France from our home in the Charente Martime the caravan is from the UK it came supplied with one 6kg propane cylinder.When this gas runs out with what do I replace it or refil it.The regular is different to one we have in the house and the bottle connection is also different not to mention the fact that the caravan bottle is also a great deal smaller than the house bottle. I have visited the local supermarkets and to date been unable to see or find out what I need . I have a feeling that I may have to purchace a second bottle in the UK and bring that over and keep replacing them that way, unless somebody has also experienced this and can help.

[quote user="LPB 2005"]

I have recently purchased a small caravan to go touring around France from our home in the Charente Martime the caravan is from the UK

[/quote]

Are you also aware that if the caravan's weight plate reads more than 500kg, it will have to be registered here before you can use it.

Important that you note what Sunday Driver pointed out about registration.

With his help I got my Lunar Clubman registered, and although it was a bit of a long-winded process, there was nothing insurmountable. It depends on the age of the 'van too as to whether you can get conformity documents to help, in our case the van was 18 years old, so a little more difficult (but not much).

For the gas supply, I've ditched the UK gas bottles and regulators and bought a Totalgaz Malice (butane) cylinder and regulator, this is the small cylinder with a clip-on type regulator. It's worth replacing the flexible tube at the same time; they're all expiry date-stamped here in France. Gas is obtainable at supermarket petrol stations everywhere.

Sid

Hi Sunday driver

Can you please explain to me about registering the caravan? I think its weight is 950kg we bought it in England and have taken it across to our place in the Charent Maritime we do not live in France permanently but visit every school holiday It is our intention to live there permanently in the near future do I still have to register the caravan and if so how do I do it and can I get insurance for it over there.?

If you are living in France (your original post mentioned your home was here) then your car must be registered here and so must your caravan.  As you are merely visiting at the moment, then you can continue to tow it behind your UK registered car as normal under the car's UK plate.

If you do a forum search, you'll find a good explanation by Sid based on his experiences.  No problem getting it insured in France.

Hi LPB

I think I got mine in Castorama. Nearly all the supermarkets sell the flexible rubber pipes (date-stamped) and the pack contains the necessary jubilee clips too. The clips have a special shear-off head which breaks off when you tighten it; don't think you've broken it, it's meant to do this. The regulators are available in most big DIY places; they're not as common as the ordinary screw type. Or try any campervan accessory shop such as "Narbonne". But if you prefer you could buy a gas cylinder with a normal screw fitting!

This is the gas bottle I use, contains 6kg of butane: http://www.totalgaz.fr/particuliers/malice-butane

The regulator is called a "dĂ©tendeur gaz", and you need the one which matches the bottle you choose; here's the one for the Totalgaz Malice .... http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/brule-herbe-adaptateurs.php

You could also read this thread about registration http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1093020/ShowPost.aspx

Sid

Hi LPB

You're welcome!

Butane is fine if you're going to caravan in the spring/summer but it doesn't gas as freely when the outside temperature drops towards zero. I can't remember the exact figure but I'm sure you'll find it by Googling! Intrepid campers, who go all year round, always use propane because it gasses freely at lower temperatures.

You need a different regulator for propane.

Sid