Freestanding kitchens

chrisb

Thank you Retread, very interesting. I do like the idea of wooden drawers as well. I too thought as you in regards to kitchen sellers trying to talk up the idea of non wood products. However, I did see in small print below a particular wood kitchen I am interested in on a website that the painted wood could move. I will call the site mentioned on page 2 tomorrow, they look lovely.[:)]

Edit: I have edited my posts because I have finally just received a price from the company I mentioned before.[:)]

[quote user="retread"]

I know it may need a van but the price saving by buying in the UK can balance that out try.....

http://www.oldcreameryfurniture.com/index.htm  My belief is that they can give a very good run for money against many 'bespoke' kitchen suppliers not mentioning any other names!!!

We recently bought a waxed reclaimed pine Larder Cupboard, a  freestanding Sink with ''Belfast'' evier and a dresser unit, good quality, better price, choice of ''Farrow and Ball'' Colours, and we used the Guys at  A1 UK and European Couriers for transport.

Similar units were available from 'domestics' in Bordeaux when I last looked.

[email protected]  for a quote.

Usual disclaimers.

[/quote]

Hi Retread, out of interest, did you go to their shop to look at the units?

The reason I ask is because they are a very long distance from us in the UK and I would have to buy over the internet or perhaps by just seeing a sample door. I have not been able to speak to anyone there yet because apparently there is one person that handles the kitchens and he seems to only work there a few hours a week. He was there yesterday morning but I couldn't get through and now he will only be there on Friday morning and I have an appointment![:(]

We actually visited the showroom, I had seen their advert in the back of 'good housekeeping' or 'Playboy' or some other Quality magazine, Showed the Boss and promptly forgot about it, the units looked too good to be true and as normal (old sceptic) If it seems too good.....it is.

But we were near Yeovil and had just bought some in Oak Kitchen/Dining furniture in North Devon when the boss decided we should visit the Old Creamery. Like you we had difficulties tracking the kitchen man (Dave White?) but upon our return home he phoned us at the time we had arranged ! And we ordered the furniture by phone and subsequently had it delivered here to the Dordogne with all our chattels when we finished the build....long story. We also about nine months ago phoned them and asked for Kitchenman to ring us back (in France) and had more stuff delivered.

If You are travelling over here and want coffee and a peek at our kitchen pm me for my address in Thiviers. same applies to any one else who lives locally we want to widen our circle (well dot actually).

The units make a cameo appearance on:

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/gallery/retread  If I'm allowed to post it!!!

Finally got to post the photo, been just a little bit busy with the renovations. really happy with the results of using a local carpenter,

I don't know what I'm doing wrong cos the image shows when I preview the post but when I post it, it doesn't seem to link.

[IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/15grandrue/Kitchen18.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="chrisb"].
SWMBA has now seen some she likes the look of - unfortunately from John Lewis, so I will be trying to discover who makes them for them in case they are available in France. If not then it's probably another van hire job!

[/quote]

John Lewis will deliver to France but at a price, I tried them for some bedlinen, I thought not an insubstantial order circa £400 but they still wanted £60 to deliver... but maybe cheaper than a trip to blighty or see the firm I used in an earlier post.

Retread, it looks beautiful, I love the colour you have chosen. If  I don't reach him on Friday I will try next week. Unfortunately, I don't think unfitted furniture would work in our kitchen because we will be taking down a wall and it will be open, therefore there will only be two walls to place the units along with an island unit. I am hoping that something can be specially made though.

Babbles, just wish I could afford our local carpenter to build us a kitchen like your gorgeous one. The devis I received for just the furniture, no worktops, appliances, sink, tap etc..was for a little over €15,000 fitted. However, he didn't include a few things that I would need so chances are it would be higher. However, it was for oak so chances are it would be less for pine.

I think it depends on the carpenter, it was around 9,000E , its chestnut, without the appliances, but the cost was higher than he normally charges because we had zinc work tops and the handles were a bit hard to track down.

He does take orders, he's here in the Herault based out of Agde, needless to say he's really busy !! but if your not in a hurry no problem

Thank you Babbles. I can get by with some things on the phone with my poor French but wouldn't feel confident enough to order a kitchen by scratch with correct measurements etc.. at the moment. I am worried enough about doing it in English.

However, your comment has convinced me that his price is high so I don't think I will be contacting him about using a different wood.[:(]

Just to update, I spoke to Dave today at the Old Creamery,sent him the plans and he came back with a price within an hour! I am very impressed.

My only concern is trying to make a ready made unfitted kitchen work in my space. I don't know if it will work but I can only imagine how beautiful it would be if I had a normal four wall kitchen.[:(]