help with electrics

Kieran

I have just received the electrical expert report regarding a house I am buying nr Roscoff. There is a requirement to improve the earth bonding and basically overhaul the whole electrical system internally.

The electric is currently switched off (probably for last  6 months at least). I need to install a new main board but would like to do the main electrical runs (lights/power etc) myself. House is a bit of a shell and I will be taking my time! The main circuit breaker board looks ok and modern but I would need to seek some guidance on this.Certainly before the mains is switched back on.

In Uk you are unable to touch bascially anything electrical anymore. I rewired my house in Brittany (St Michel en Greve) 3 years ago but the main board was ok then.

Can anyone advise what the current position is? Also not sure whether I can do this.................. but anyone in the Roscoff area able to advise locally and suggest where I should look (phone number or e-mail address would be good)!

Thanks in anticipation   

There is no current legal  requirement in France to engage the services of an electrician and you are relatively free to do what you want in your own domestic dwelling, as the equivalent of  the Part P regulations, (unfortunately IMHO), has not yet reached our shores here.

However in the interests of your safety and for the safety of anyone who enters your house, I would strongly advise that you use a professional. There could also be insurance issues in the event of an accident or fire caused by a faulty electrical installation that you have carried out.

Paul.