Fosse and SPANC

JandM

Hi Everyone,

I'm making my first foray into investigating the costs and logistics of complying with the sewage and drainage rules. I haven't been visited by SPANC yet, but I know there's going to be a lot of work to do.

At present I have a plastic fosse which I thinks is 3 cubic metres. Only the wc drains into it. All grey water - kitchen, bath, shower, washing machine etc - goes down the bank. I've no idea whether or not the farmer who owns the field at the bottom of the bank knows that I'm helping water his crops. I suppose I'm going to have to have these grey water outlets redirected to the fosse which, because of the lie of the land, will mean pumps.

An 'interesting' feature of the curent set up is that the fosse outlet drains into the well, which is right next to it. (No, we don't drink the water!) I guess the original fosse installation was done by the same previous owner who took a chainsaw to a low hanging beam upstairs, reducing it to 5cms thick. 

I'm putting 10,000 euro aside to pay for all this. Any thoughts on whether that's likely to be enough? There's plenty of space for the soakaway on the grass right next to the fosse. Any comments welcome. I'd love to hear other people's experiences. I'm in Lot et Garonne, by the way - just north of Agen.

Cheers

James

Our present one cost 9k euros in 2007.  We did need a pump and all the "canalisation" to the back of our plot.  The eventual size of the tank was 3000 litres for a 3 bedroom house and the drainage field was 11m x 7m.

Pachapapa, who knows about these things, tells me the drainage area is probably on the generous side.

I am at present investigating the practicality of adapting the fosse in a house that we are considering buying but the powers- that- be have yet to meet up to stipulate the requirements.

Let me know if you do want more details and I will look up the thread where all this was discussed a couple of weeks ago and give you the appropriate link. 

Our old house in in Northen Gers cost 17,000E to put the fosse in, it was a difficult site, steep slope on very heavy clay so although the actual fosse didn't cost that much the size of the gravel beds need was enormous and expensive. It was a 4 bedroom house and needed a totally new system.

[quote user="JandM"]

I'm making my first foray into investigating the costs and logistics of complying with the sewage and drainage rules. I haven't been visited by SPANC yet,

[/quote]

Would it not be best to simply arrange for a number of quotes, the potential installers (especially if local) will have a good idea of your requirements. Your Marie should hold a list of contractors.

• 1 month later...

Cognisant of a rare active SPANC thread in the non digging season.

Somewhere on this board noted that the new Regulations would not be likely to see the light of day before March 2010.

I note that the advisory period for suggestions by professional SPANKEURS, previously scheduled for the end of  December 2009

has now been extended to the middle of February 2010; so March looks a bit optimistic.

We are of course considering the finalisation of XP DTU 64.1.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5895/afnorp16en1449assainiss.png