New roof problems?

WJT

I know it is a long shot but thought I would ask here anyway.[:)] We had a new roof finished last March and the ridge or faitage(?) has been cracking. It has done so from the beginning. There are always bits on the roof where it is coming away. I asked the roofer on numerous occasions and he said it isn't a problem because he put a lot of mortar below this level.

I haven't been concerned until now but an artisan (lauzier) noticed some broken tiles on the roof and said we need to call the roofer. He has been saying he will come for weeks now and hasn't, now he will not return my calls. The tiles he used are reclaimed flat tiles but it is a little worrying that a little over a year and some are already damaged.[:(]

Does anyone know if it is normal for the mortar on the ridge to act this way? And is it acceptable to have reclaimed clay flat tiles to break after a little over a year?

I doubt that he now relishes getting back up there as he will break yet more tiles, I used reclaimed and yes some did break in the first year, they had probably not been facing the sun before, a few since but not as many as the first year or as many as I broke putting the things up. I dont want to replace them as I am likely to break even more in doing so.

Re the faitage, I bet he just bedded it down on two fillets of cement instead of filling the whole void with ciment batard and broken tile slate etc, to do it properly takes an inordinate volume of heavy material, de coup I have yet to see a French roofer do one properly and most start falling apart like yours.

We replaced two large roofs a couple of years ago. I asked our builder about reclaimed tiles, and he asked me if I would put worn tyres on my car. I settled for new mechanical canal tiles which look pretty much the same and should be good for rather longer than me.

He used lead for the faitage.

Thanks for the replies. Chancer, I think you are right however where these tiles are, they are difficult to get to, I don't think he would be able to stand on the roof at all.

Regarding the faitage, it is very very thick. In fact when he did it I thought it looked quite odd because the mortar I would say appears to be about 5cm high. This 5cm between the roof and the ridge tile is what is cracking and bits are coming off. He said that below this 5cm mortar at the base of the roof he said is another layer but I don't know how solid it is.

Nomoss, the supplier of the roof tiles told me that the tiles they made in the past by hand were much stronger and would last longer than new ones made by machine. I did a little experiment with a new tile and one of his old ones and the old one did seem to be much stronger. So am disappointed to see this happening to say the least. [:(]

Edit: By the way, they are the square flat red clay tiles of about 25cm x 17cm, not canal tiles.

Hi, yes, I have a copy of his insurance papers. In fact I mentioned on one of my unanswered messages on his mobile that if he didn't return my call I may have to go down this route. So far nothing. It appears he isn't too bothered. [:(]