DIY Electrics - the official line?

joidevie

[quote user="tonyv"][quote user="Jimmy"]One that is in the habit of criticising others should make sure they themselves are perfect before doing so.

[/quote]

That'll be "one who is in the habit..."

[/quote]

Sounds like a nun.

[quote user="Chancer"][quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="pachapapa"][:D][:D][/quote]

[/quote]

Pas du tout.

I dont need telephone Use VOIP Base with two combinés each with charger. I dont need RF TV I live in a HDMI world. I dont need RJ45 LAN connexion I live with a "n" WLAN.

[/quote]

Any chance of explaining any of that in English or French?

[/quote]

Don't you just love it when he talks dirty? We have been waiting patiently for the explanation but it seems it is not to be. I love the cute mixture of French and English.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="dave21478"]What EDF probably should do, and what they really do are generally not the same thing. The chap made no mention of checking anything beforehand and just wanted to see that there was power to inside the house.

Yes, the old unit is in the top right. Its been disconnected from almost everything except for two 1.5mm wires which can just be seen in the pic running to the back of the main switch (centre on the wooden board) so something is obviously still live through the old unit.  The two thicker wires which dangle over the top of the board from the main switch are the live and neutral feed to the new consumer unit. No earthing to be seen anywhere.

[/quote]

Love the piccy but not requiring a consuel, the sparky from EDF not qualified to do it anyway. Not much else to say. Oh tenant with one "t" and p.p of pay is "paid". Hope you find a good leccy to fix it all.[:)]

Due dilligence for your client and all that...

[/quote]

Thankyou for taking the time to highlight the typing errors I made.

No, really, thanks a lot, a very helpfull - infact invaluable - addition to the thread.

Myself

and everyone else I am sure, will now sleep a lot better tonight

knowing that such diligent members are on the forum working hard to

prevent us from missing such serious mistakes.

Get a copy of the latest regulations. Find an electrician who is happy to let you do the first fix and who will do the rest and apply for the certificate from the consueil. Why pay an electrician to drill holes and push cables through them? You wouldn't pay a car mechanic to change a wheel or fill up the wash wipe would you?

[quote user="dave21478"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="dave21478"]What EDF probably should do, and what they really do are generally not the same thing. The chap made no mention of checking anything beforehand and just wanted to see that there was power to inside the house.

Yes, the old unit is in the top right. Its been disconnected from almost everything except for two 1.5mm wires which can just be seen in the pic running to the back of the main switch (centre on the wooden board) so something is obviously still live through the old unit.  The two thicker wires which dangle over the top of the board from the main switch are the live and neutral feed to the new consumer unit. No earthing to be seen anywhere.

[/quote]

Love the piccy but not requiring a consuel, the sparky from EDF not qualified to do it anyway. Not much else to say. Oh tenant with one "t" and p.p of pay is "paid". Hope you find a good leccy to fix it all.[:)]

Due dilligence for your client and all that...

[/quote]

Thankyou for taking the time to highlight the typing errors I made.
No, really, thanks a lot, a very helpfull - infact invaluable - addition to the thread.
Myself and everyone else I am sure, will now sleep a lot better tonight knowing that such diligent members are on the forum working hard to prevent us from missing such serious mistakes.

[/quote]

Due dilligence is a legal expression to indicate the degree of care in looking after the interests of someone elses property.

Whilst I am pleased with your assessment of my own dilligence; I was in fact thinking oy your dilligence in the context of..."of a house I manage ".[:)]

In my experience, it is certainly NOT the case that buyers, agents or notaires will automatically accept that electrics are okay on the say-so of the owner/vendor, particularly in view of the new 'expertises' which devote several pages to the state of the electrical installation in relation to the new norms. This has proved a stumbling block in two recent transactions involving English buyers, whereas it is well known that French buyers want to see evidence of qualified artisans and the usual guarantees.

P-D de R.