Oiled Garage Floor

Megan le Fey

Now you've all got me giggling again. But seriously, I am being careful and am probably exaggerating my giddiness (just to get sympathy perhaps). My best mixture so far has been neat Cillitt Bang with plenty of neat bleach poured on top from a safe distance and with the garage doors and the windows all open wide. It seems to soften the old oil enough to let the tool-truck steamer do its work. I haven't tried the paint stripper yet, might try it later today after I have washed off yesterday's cocktail.

Using Google Chrome again so please imagine appropriate smilies.

All you guys have been teasing me haven't you?  I have tried almost (but not quite) all  the things you have suggested and whilst they have got off some of the fresher oil, the really old, hardcore stuff has been more than resistant, especially around the edges of each stain.  Today I bought and tried paint-stripper which was totally ineffective and so the only thing I hadn't tried was paraffin (I forgot to buy some anyway) and the half litre of petrol in the lawnmower's can.   I thought about the petrol .............  how much more volatile and dangerous than paraffin can it be?  Anyway, I don't smoke and it has been years since I played with matches and I wasn't in the mood for banging things around and making sparks................ so I opened up the garage doors and windows, put out the car (I really love her and wanted to keep her safe) and just chucked the blumming stuff on the oilstains.  It was the closest thing I have ever seen to a miracle.  The oil sort of began to run and melt almost immediately and I gave it a serious scrubbing with a hard brush, threw on some kitty litter (sand at I*marche was on the bottom shelf  in 35kg bags and I couldn't lift it) and scrubbed that in, brushed and picked up the litter and then washed with floor washing stuff and hosed the lot down..  It looked good and I thought that just one repeat and it would be fine.  Looked just now and it is drying and I don't even think it needs a repeat.  Guys, if you got oil on your garage floor, try petrol first.