Wall Starter kit

expat paul

Sorry for the slight Hi-jack but I am wanting to build a block wall faced in stone and havent done this before albeit I have seen it done in France. Any advice or useful details?

I was thinking build the block wall, bituthene it stand cellotex type isulation vertically against the blocks on the bituthene side then drill in rebars into block and through the cellotex in such a way that the bars tie into bed joints. Is this about right? 

They do sell brick ties in France BigMac.

If follows that there are also some cavity walls being built, predominantly when someone wants to have a brick or perhaps stone facade, it is called "mur composite"  I dont know the name of the tie and have not seen one but I know that they have a dip in the middle to stop water traversing.

Like anythig out of the ordinary in France expect to be shafted by the grossistes for them.

I suspect it would be a French equivalent to our stainless steel Butterfly ties and work in similar fashion. I am thinking laying cellotex boards on their side I would have ties at 600mm centres. Not sure if there is a French Standard for this?

The wall being built is for a workshop which I am effectively reducing in size but which has an open end also. This will be where I put my motorbikes etc so super insulation not too important for now but at some point I would like to be able to use the space for the occassional family party or something like that.

The remaining solid stone walls I am going to insulate then dry line  leaving  the stone above all except the end wall which is effectively the gable wall of my house which I will repoint as a feature wall.

Posh workshop s something I have always wanted!