Kit Supratherme

Bertie

Have been looking on web for a woodburner and have come accross some which offer a "Kit Supratherme" for an additional price of around €430.00. No idea what this is and what it would add to the woodburners performance. Can someone enlighten me please.

Thank

I don't think it's going to give out more heat i.e. it gets hotter. What it does do is balance out the heat so it radiates the same temperature for longer and in a way makes the fire more efficient. Normally if you let the fire die down a bit the heat dies with it until you put more wood on and it gets hotter again. This 'liner' for want of a better word means the heat carries on radiating even thought the fire has died down a bit if you get my drift. So in theory you would probably burn less wood. After the fire has died out at night it will still give off some background heat at the bricks discharge, just like a night storage heater. These are only my thoughts, I have no practical knowledge of these things because I don't have one but when I was very much younger my parents had a lined coal fire and it certainly seemed to be giving out a lot of heat compared at times to the amount of fire so it seems logical to me. Would I pay 460 Euros for the kit? Well I would look at it this way, say it saves a cubic metre of wood per year which costs say 60 Euros then I would have to have it for nearly 8 years to get my money back. On the other hand I would get a heating device that retained heat and thus was better at keeping the room at an even temperature without having to rush out and get a couple of logs for the fire every now and again. It really is on of those 'whats best for me personally' scenarios.