A question on crepi

DerekJ

We've recently added a patio at the back of our house. The sides are cement rendered and I want to cover that with a crepi layer to match the rest of the house... so basically a layer on 3 sides of a rectangle with a total length of around 15 metres and the height varying (because of a slight slope) but around 0.4 metres.  I plan to apply the crepi with a plasterers float plus assorted builders trowels.

I'm presuming that I will be able to buy bags of crepi in powder form?  from most bricos? I guess I'll need to calculate how much I need based on an estimate of the sq metres I need to cover.

Will it be available in a variety of colours? I'd obviously like to be able to have it blend in with the house and would prefer to do this without having to paint it afterwards.

Having read other posts regarding crepi I have the impression that there might be different categories eg. for internal or external use?

If anyone can give me any guidance on what to ask for with external use in mind and any other related info/tips it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Often confusion between crepi, a textured paint product and enduit de façade which I believe is what you have proposed to use. I am assuming that the existing house finish that you want to match is in fact a coloured enduit (render) finish which many people people call crepi

If you were covering brick or parpaing and wanted to match the rest of the house then I would recommend using enduit de façade (sometimes called enduit de renovation) trowelled or sprayed on and finished with une taloche crantée if you have a finition gratéé.

However to achieve that finish over a (presumably smooth) cement render the product to use is enduit tyroléan which comes in a range of colours, you can apply that with une crepinette or I believe une machine à tyroléan, I doubt that it can be trowelld on unless your existing enduit is a rough/smooth trowelled finish (taloché).

To add one more possibility I have an outsie wall which I finished in rose coloured enduit gratté adjacent to that was a smooth cement rendered wall which had gone manky grey green with age, Like you I wanted to finish it to match the enduit so I experimented with tinting a bog standard external crepi de façade and sprayed it on with une crepinette, the finish is excellent and I have since done the same for all brick elevations of my building, from afar it looks just like the enduit, from close up it lacks the organic lime hue/texture, hard to put into words.

Good luck and ask if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the really useful reply.  Much appreciated. I'm going to have to research what some of these terms mean (or are).....  the strip of upright wall that needs covering is really quite narrow so I was hoping I would be able to apply the enduit rather like applying plaster to a wall. From your feedback it sounds like this may be a problem. I wasn't planning on buying/hiring one of those spray machines.  Maybe back to the drawing board.

Dont worry Derek because only recently I have trowelled some up!

It was in fact to hide the remains of a chimney breast in a loft conversion, I used the external enduit and it went on like cream and stuck like the brown stuff to a blanket, in this case I did a brushed finish but it would not have been a problem for grattée.

If ever I had a small area to do I would trowel it on but dont forget you need a minimum thickness of about 13mm for it to hold together and create a suction, I think the tyrolean is intended to be sprayed on much thinner as a finishing coat.

Thanks Chancer.  I think I'll give it a go.  The taloche crantée looked very useful to get a matching finish to the house. I had looked out a plastic texturing type tool that I came across in the garage in the UK and thought I might gently stipple with it to try and replicate the texture but the taloche crantée looks far more useful.

On the basis I can buy the enduit in different colours??? does the dried, finished finish pretty much equate to the colour of the original poqder or does it take on different tones once mixed and applied? I can take a little of the original enduit from the house where an edge against a wooden beam has some surplus to try and match the colours.

Good point about the minimum thickness. I have a little flexibility on this as the sides gently slope inwards a bit.

I would say the finished colour is halfway between the powder and the wet mix, if its not too great an area bite the bullet and buy the proper stuff from a grossiste, they will have a colour chart with all the tints, hoepfully your colour is quite standard for your region and they wont be expecting you to buy a pallet load. I used cheapo stuff and it is already becoming covered in algae, I think the brand stuff has an anti fungal additive.

Try a test area if you can, dependant on drying and humidity it can take many days before it dries to an even colour but you will soon se patches of the finished colour.

If this is going on top of a smooth render you might need a gobetis coat first for it to stick to, I would try 1m2 and see how you get on hopefully you wont need it, the gobetis is a runny slurry cement mix (looks like the aftermath of a vindaloo!) flicked on from the back of a trowel, I  never mastered the art and usually cover myself from head to foot and anything else in the general area with very little hitting the target.

When you do trowel up the enduit do it in bays as you have to scratch finish it before it dries too much, you will soon judge when, you can pick up the scrapings from the floor mould them in your hand to fill in any low bits its quite forgiving, I really like working with it.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Been trying to add a photo to help me explain the problem I have with our crepi, but cannot see how to do it?

[IMG]http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss138/nemltd/DSCF1126.jpg[/IMG]

The exterior of our house is rendered in a crepi textured finish, not unsimilar to the old interior artex look, the 'bark' style I think it was called.

On two elevations I have a purple coloured 'rash'. At first glance I was tempted to say it was some kind of lichen. Maybe over the years it has slowly manifested itself due to weather conditions? Someone else suggested it could be bleeding through from the brickwork behind?

We need to paint the outside of the house and was hoping for some advice on the best way to do it. It is currently white, but I am not sure if that was its natural finish or if it was painted. Will I need to seal this 'rash' what ever it is? Will it come back after I have painted?

Help!