Base for Brick Patio?

Soozie

I have the bricks for the patio, but I'm unsure of the foundation we need. I don't want to pour concrete, I'd rather use something dry that hardens over time, like a sand, ciment mix, or is it gravel then sand. We live in the Nord, if that makes a difference. Does anyone have experience with this and can tell me the names of the products I would need? Thanks in advance!

It depends on the quality of the job you want its position and its usage. If you have proper patio brick and want a good quality job then Theiere's advice is excelent.

However we had a load of house bricks to hand from a wall we demolished and made quite a servicable patio with them laid directly on sifted soil.

I built a 'raised deck' terrace with a 'roof' like top to keep the rain and sun off (there are some photo's on our website - use the WWW button and go to the photo section). Because it is screwed and bolted together and is not 'attached' to the house (well it is really but only by about four bolts for stability) it's classed as a temporary construction. Somebody did tell me that temporary in this sense not only means it can be dismantled but it must be done in a certain time period like 24 hours but you would have to look in to that. I recon half a day to take mine down. I know nothing about the type of thing this chap is trying to do re permissions etc.

OK, I was just wondering how far the planning laws went.

We had often considered doing a hard base and a wooden abri for our car, which could be easily taken down. Yet another job that we never got around to.

I've spent the day chipping away at 2200 old bricks we've recovered from a demolition. The patio will be 37 square meters, and I'm still not sure what to do for the base. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out with the french vocab for my trip to LeroyMerlin.