Same tiles, different problem......undrillable!

frexpt

Anybody a suggestion on how to drill through very hard glazed tiles?  We have tiled two bathrooms (floors and walls) with 10mm interior floor tiles.  All through we have had problems drilling them.  Dedicated "carrelage" bits won't touch them and glass cutting bits will scratch the glaze but not the substance of the tiles.

I did manage to drill locating holes for a shower cubicle, by carefully using fine masonary bits with hammer action and then enlarging the holes gradually.  Even so, each 7mm hole took about 40 minutes and so far I have written off about a dozen assorted drill bits.

I now need to drill several 60mm holes for wall mounted bath taps and I am looking at the various diamond bits in the brico.  With the guide kit needed, I am probably facing an intial outlay of nearly 100 euros...........[+o(]

[quote user="Bugsy"]Try a diamond-tipped 60 mm hole cutter. .[/quote]

What bother me is that these beggars have stuck two fingers up at everything thrown at them so far and I am not confident that a diamond cutter will do the job.......could be 100 euros down the pan.  I was wondering whether I am missing something obvious?

I use the diamond core bits for tiles.all the time and its the only way to go. Drilled un drillable tiles all the time to peoples amazement, I charge per hole! Run the drill very slowly, I use screw driver speed and plenty of water, I use a wet sponge to apply the water. Dont forget you can run the drill backward too as that extends the life because they cut in both directions.

How about taping round the edge of the hole and then using a stone cutting disc on a grinder to take the surface and more off ?[blink]

I have had all sorts of problems drilling a variety of holes too, including trying to put shutter hinges into massive flint corner stones, kango hammer, bosch bits etc wouldn't touch it. As a last resort, local builders merchant hired a big jobby with bits that did the job like a knife through butter, there is a tool out there.[:D]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Théière"]I use the diamond core bits for tiles.all the time and its the only way to go. Drilled un drillable tiles all the time to peoples amazement, I charge per hole! Run the drill very slowly, I use screw driver speed and plenty of water, I use a wet sponge to apply the water. Dont forget you can run the drill backward too as that extends the life because they cut in both directions.[/quote]

Pleased to say that a diamond bit, plenty of water, slow speed, both directions worked prefectly.  Nevertheless, given how long it took me to get through each tile, I trust you are charging at least 15 euros per hole!!