upgrading KVA - EDF

nijntje

Hi,

We are getting new electricity posts at the end of this year...we are in the crountryside and on the end of a line and the current line is really old an in bad condition...so EDF decided to replace all of it and remove the old ugly post that is sitting in the middle of our garden :) We will then have to move our meter as a result of moving the last electricity pole

at the same time we are thinking of upgrading the KVA, we curently have 9kva 45amps (3 phase so 3 x 15amps) (please correct me if this is wrong!)

As we have currently 1 main house + 1 gite it is just about enough if we do not turn on the big guys at the same time....we are also in the process of renovatig another house as a gite and will need more power....eventually there will be a third gite, so 1 main house and 3 small gites in total. we do not heat electricical so that is not a problem, but for boilers, washing machine, oven etc...

we would like to get 15kva or mabe even 18KVA rather then having 2 meters of 9kva.

Would this be possible or are there any restrictions? I ones heard that you need to have all your electricity checked before you can upgrade to more power...is this true?

Anyone done this and what is the process? The engineer that came out to look for the new line  told us to tell EDF to update the meter at the same time (maybe then ist is free since they are here alreaady?) He did not say we could only get 12 or 15kva...

Any advice?

Can't give any real help but one point I picked up on that you said that if they move the post, replace or whatever then you would have to move the meter. It is they that will have to move the meter as it is a result of what they have done. All our cables are being put under ground round here. I got a new drive (they dug the old one up to lay the cable) and a new meter now located outside my property (the old one was in my garage) all at no expence to me.

Thanks for your reply...I did think about that...but we did receive ainvoice for about 500 euros to move the meter :(

I guess we do not really need to have it moved, but we decided it would be better if we move it to the last post...now it is inside in one of the houses, so not accesable for all the houses.

I guess I could still try and get it for free but not sure it will help really as we already paid for it!