Bulk sand

catsncarp

Surely any builders merchants? I presume you mean a few tonnes, and you will need chaux or mortar in any case. It would make practical sense to get it all from the same place.

I buy mine by the trailer load, a quarter of a cubic metre at a time. It's more convenient for me that way as I don't want a huge sand pile blocking the drive. One load costs about 8€. It will be cheaper from a quarry but you will pay transport costs.

[quote user="sid"]It will be cheaper from a quarry but you will pay transport costs.[/quote]

I collect mine from the quarry, as the local builders merchant route means a trip down to the Vienne up the other side and back again with 1/2 ton in the trailer. Depends where you live I guess :-)

Thanks for your comments, I dont live out there it just a holiday home at the mo, I dont have a car with a trailer, I geuss Ill have to get it delivered from the quarry but as I dont have any land Ill have to get it shot outside and move it into my barn. Does anyone know costs per m2 and what delivery costs might be for say 3 x m2............. Ta everyone

I live 14km from the builders merchants, and there's no convenient quarry. Sand (grade 02) is 32€ cu.metre and delivery for me would be flat rate of around 30€. They would deliver free within the town, but not outside. So it pays to get as much other stuff as possible at the same time. I use "Renocal" for pointing and general stone repairs here (limestone region) and that costs 14€ for a 32kg sack. Basic chaux is probably 5€ cheaper.

[quote user="sid"]

I live 14km from the builders merchants, and there's no convenient quarry. Sand (grade 02) is 32€ cu.metre and delivery for me would be flat rate of around 30€. They would deliver free within the town, but not outside. So it pays to get as much other stuff as possible at the same time. I use "Renocal" for pointing and general stone repairs here (limestone region) and that costs 14€ for a 32kg sack. Basic chaux is probably 5€ cheaper.

[/quote]

.....but I'd recommend going with the renocal rather than the chaux unless you're pretty experienced. The former is more plastic and much more amenable to work with, I find, but then pointing definitely not part of my skill-set.

Catsncarp... you're not that far from Eguzon (across the A20.). go to ELS-Boiche which is a small builder's merchants who deliver. Their wagon takes about 3 cube of sand, and Guillaume will happilly give you a price for delivery of just sand or sand + everything else. Very pleasant chaps .

p

[quote user="sid"]

[/quote]

.....but I'd recommend going with the renocal rather than the chaux unless you're pretty experienced. The former is more plastic and much more amenable to work with, I find, but then pointing definitely not part of my skill-set.

Catsncarp... you're not that far from Eguzon (across the A20.). go to ELS-Boiche which is a small builder's merchants who deliver. Their wagon takes about 3 cube of sand, and Guillaume will happilly give you a price for delivery of just sand or sand + everything else. Very pleasant chaps .

p

Brilliant!! I only need small amounts of m3 at a time. I have done a fair bit of pointing a few years ago and have had a little practice the chaux mix and with a little plasticizer in the mix its quite manageable, I have found that washing the area to be pointed with a low pressure water supply removes all the dust and the mix goes in and satys in, the secret then is to leave it to start going off before you brush finish it to your desired finish. Practice will make it perfect............................Thanks again for the Eguzon tip

Renocal was recommended by my local macon. It contains a plasticiser and makes a nice smooth mix which is easy to apply. I usually go for a 3:1 mix.

If you pressure wash the wall to clean it first, don't be too enthusiastic around the joints, the crumbly infill soon washes out. In hot weather it's worth spraying the wall first so that the moisture doesn't get sucked out of the mix too soon. I think form now until April you won't have that problem!

A darker or red sand will give a creamy coloured finish, whilst a normal "sandy" ([blink]) coloured sand produces a whiter finish.

You're right about waiting until it starts to go off before brushing, but don't leave it too long, certainly not until the following morning!