how to tile a roof gully

HoneySuckleDreams

Hello

I'm just about to tile up to a roof gully. We are replacing the slates with tiles, the gully itself is currently lined with Zinc.

Is there anything I should bear in mind when replacing the slate with tiles? Overlap distances? using something else other than zinc for the gully lining? supporting with planks (rives de whatsits)?

I only want to do this once, so that when i'm dust in the wind the kids don't have to worry about it. So, anyone out there with some handy tips, I would be grateful if you would share.

thanks

First stage check that your roof structure is strong eniough for tiles rather than slate. Slate weighs a lot less per square metre than tiles. Are you sure your roof slope is OK for tiles in you location.

What type of tiles are you using ? Unless you are using modern interlocking tiles then there is bound to be some maintenance to do in the forceable future.

How you support depends what kind of tiles, in particular do they have location lugs. Overlap also depends on local conditions but is at least 1/3 of a tile.

We are using interlocking Médiane type tiles and screwing the top and bottom ones to the battens. Most of the roof is already done, we had 3 hips to do but negotiated them OK.

We just have this one gully to complete. I was wondering if the zinc needs to be wider (than that presnetly fitted) beneath the tiles that edge the gully? as the slate fits closer to the surface there is less of a likely hood of water ingress sideways. Whereas tiles are raised higher and more chance of water getting in.

If your breather membrane runs under the valley zinc  and your zinc runs over your tile batten at the edges (worth considering putting batten between battens to fill the gap and give a smooth fold)  then the tile in turn overlaps back to the valley then you will only have any gap presented by the tile construction itself which if the are embssed or pressed may be significant. You have however created a sound underlayment which should accept gap filling foam or mortar.