Barn works

Pads

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

It's great when you can get to a mutually agreeable state of affaires...hope the taxman isn't looking..I get the occassional sack of spuds from 'The potato fairy' .I walked out the door one day and nearly broke my neck tripping over a sack of spuds on the doorstep...From time to time another will appear ..I imagine this to be the grazing tariff albeit to be minus some grass suits me.. Then of course there's the lady whom I let pick pears..we call her Madame Jam..as we keep getting given pots of delicious home made jam..You gotta love the French they make great neighbours!... [/quote]

I guess that depends on where you live, mine just steal from me whenever I go to the UK, it has got so bad that I dont tell anyone I am going, not even the Mairie, only the Gendarmes and I am not even sure about them.

To be fair the neighbours will ask "do you want that XYZ?" and come out with a highly detailed story about exactly why me giving it to them  will really help them out whereas in fact after giving it to them I will find it for sale on Leboncoin or at a rédérie with them doing their hardest to avoid my gaze.

If I say no it will be stolen anyway so I usually just listen to amusement to their imaginitive story and say yes. So long as no-one actually breaks in then I accept the situation for what it is and consider myself lucky, it is far better than when I lived in a housing association flat.

One neighbour is the best of the bunch, a really nice guy and he confided in me during and after his messy divorce and continues to use me as a listening ear, he is an even bigger glaneur than I am so before i put anything even remotely usefull in my trailer for the dump I ask him if he wants to put it in his sous sol a veritable cavern d'Ali Baba! I will go to him first when I need a piece of something to bricolage a repair and he will always give it to me, I also give him all the wood that I rip out and all my offcuts for his woodburner, he does give me fruit and the occassional veg from his potager.

But even that guy nice as he is still has Picard blood running through his veins, he will come to me "en commission" as he calls it to pass on threats from his workmates yet refuses to communicate back my responses as he wants to remain neutral, (well I am sorry pal when you come into my house to pass on threats that is not what I call neutral), when I moved in he was the first to come and se presenter but really he wanted the 3000 litre oil tank that I had removed with rollers and a lever, he told me that he only had a small tank for his heating, in fact he had no central heating or boiler and stll has none hence why I give him the wood, within the hour he was back with a farmer and his Manitou to take it away, it stayed in his garden for a week and then dissapeared, I later traced it to his brothers land after being told it was for sale on Leboncoin.

A few things have happened in my absence that have made me chuckle, once I had 30 or so sacks of asbestos outside awaiting disposal, when I returned they had multiplied! Mind you the sacks were really pourri so I had to use some of mine, another time I returned to find that one of the Leroy Merlin "big bags" (tonne bags) that I store sand and gravel in had been disturbed, someone pinching a few shovelfulls to knock up a mix is no problem but what they had done was to cut out and remove about a square foot of material from the side of the bag, I suspect my nice neighbour as if I wanted a small square of  fibre glass weave I would go to him and vice versa and he is the only person around that has a very rusty car.

This enigma has been with me for ages, what else could someone possibly want a piece of my "big bag" for? - any suggestions?

Chancer maybe it's the occassional group of bikers turning up ...maybe it's my neighbours wonderment at the huge lumps of wood that I can physically move (I include No 1 son in that statement)...maybe it's because they have seen me blow my stack (Oooops) but I don't seem to get any bother thus far. We are always polite and are careful not to 'appear' well to do. I will go and mend a burst pipe or shove a tile back in place for neighbours  on a nodding basis but am not about to be jerked around.

Its a shame you have tea-leafery going on and maybe it's too far advanced to check. Horses for courses but I think I would be tempted to ask dear friend if he 'is' your friend and if so.... do friends act as lackies for those too dozy to come and make their own threats? I think these things need to be tackled head on --- not necessarily aggressively but very positively. Is there a local Bobbie equivalent or someone at the Maire prepared to act as an intermediary? I am thinking... use their own system to expose their reprehensible behaviour. Something along the lines of a 'clear the air' session where what ever is agreed is written down and recorded so that the Gendarmes have a point of reference and an 'I don't know' defence wont work for the miscreants...hopefully showing negotiating teeth while putting things back on a mutual respect footing?

In my experience, for what it's worth...you can teach people to be 'orrible to you by being passive, add to this being a bit different be this through race, religion or orientation and it's easy to pick on the different guy. Shouting rarely gets the job done but finding common ground sometimes does. I would be saying 'Look guys you have had your fun and I have put up with some of your antics as I really want to be regarded as part of this community and don't want to cause upset. However I believe the French are fair minded people and together we can work out a mutually acceptable way forward. I am a resident in this commune, I pay my way and expect to be treated like any other citizen. I respect the community far too much to allow the current situation to fester and want to give the opportunity to those who would send 'messages' through my friend and make him uncomfortable to set out what their issues are and what we can agree as a way forward' ....Kinda thing