Filasse or PTFE ?

joidevie

I've been doing the Google rounds and am getting very mixed opinions on PTFE vs hemp and pate (which I have never used).

I've done the basic circuit in the kitchen and bathroom in 20mm 'Multicouce compression fittings' and am spurring off that circuit in flexis in 1/2 inch with ball 'vannes' (isolation valves) at each joint to the 20mm multi 'T's to connect to taps, baths, sinks etc. A new Chauffe eau as well.

I've not used any PTFE for any of the chrome 20mm compression joints (I don't think I'm supposed to) but am now looking at doing the thread joints for the 1/2 inch valves and the chauffe eau plastic threads..

Filasse or PTFE? The French clearly love the hemp, but some UK forums call it outdated or not needed for joints of less than 1 inch and PTFE is the way to go.. Different for the plastic threads on the ballon?

This is probably an old debate, but I'd still love to hear any arguments for/against and advice for a DIY'er not looking to win any awards, but looking to keep things in good shape for a long time to come..

Many thanks indeed for any suggestions..

If the fittings are a smooth finish then I use PTFE if they are rough (iron etc) I find PTFE next to useless so occasionally use hemp but it's messy and unreliable so i would normally use Loctite plumbing thread seal. Modern quick and efficient.