What material to buy from the quarry!

hope someone can help - we want to gravel an area of our garden and the driveway and aren't quite sure what we want to buy!!  It's quite common in the Lot region for driveways and parking areas outside houses, it's pale (mostly yellowish) and seems to vary from dust through to about 20mm in size.  We think it might be called calcaire according to the website of the quarry near us but aren't 100% sure (and a 10 tonne order is a big mistake to make!!!!!).  It seems to get compacted down and gives a finish sort of like a public petanque court. 

do you know, I was thinking about that!!  Unfortunately, we're in the uk at the moment and hoping to have it delivered the day we arrive in April so  it won't be possible.  I think I might have to look for photos of it instead but I'm a bit of a liability when I start looking at pictures of houses, particularly on estate agents' websites!

The material you are looking for is called (la) castine.  From the german kalkstein - limestone

For a boulodrome the particle size is 5/0 (ie 10mm max down to nothing)

For drive 20/0 is ok, 10/0 better.

The 0 particles aka dust is required to bind the castine and stop it all moving about when you drive on it.  This will happen if you get a single size stone or gravel.

To put it in place you need to spread the stuff, then srpay with water whilst you compact with a vibrating plate compactor.

If it isn't already dug out, and/or if you don't fancy moving many tonnes of castine about, thinak about calling your local terrassier....much easier and not expensive.

If you buy it and have it delivered, be prepared a for a very large tipper truck.