Capping well with reinforced concrete slab?

stan

I was thinking of capping a well with a thick piece of granite or slate (1.2m x 1.5m) but cannot find anywhere that sells such a thing, neither can I find anything of this size on Leboncoin etc or any of the Brico outlets.

I then had an idea of simply trying to make one with concrete and reinforcing it with iron bar. Has anyone tried this or suggest any alternative. I just want a slab of sorts to sit almost flush with the ground and be able to withstand a human adult weight on it without falling through and down the 25m depth of the well shaft!

You can use a pre-cast manhole 'biscuit' available from the 'heavy side' of Bricos. alternatively make up a  100 mm deep casting box line with DPM sit 8mm rebar mesh on small pieces of broken paving slab so that the mesh sits 40 to 50 mm into the box (ensure the edges are at least 50mm in so that they are adequately covered, then fill with a 4 (stone) 2 (sand) 1 (cement) by volume mix well mixed with sufficient clean water to form a stiff jelly like matrix. Use a long straight wooden batten to tamp the mix into the box so that the concrete is level and uniform. Leave for a fortnight if possible under a damp hessian covering. If any openings are required in the casting its easy to creat these out of timber or pipe secured to the moulding box and ensuring reinforcement is 50mm in from edge and augmented if needs be. Once mould is struck you will have your custom built 'biscuit' which should be pretty strong.

Traditional wisdom sees the biscuit cast circular so that it may be rolled  however The health and safety dept would set the casting box on scaffold tubes / rollers in turn sat on a sheet of 19mm ply on the far side of the well.

Strike the end of the casting box then place a length of bar through the vent opening (or cast one into it at the outset) and attach to a tensioned 3 tonne rated  ratchet strap secured to a robust piece of hard landscaping or a vehicle.

Ratchet away until biscuit is adjacent to the well then chock the rollers and secure the casting box either by using scaffold levers to catch the edges or by holding back using an opposing ratchet strap attached to the mould.

Further ratcheting and levering from assistants will see the biscuit drawn across the top of the well and onto pre-prepared grounds.if that's your fancy.

(Me I would simply cast next to well and use man / donkey power to 'flip' the casting box over and cover the well....removing the mould and dpm will reveal a smooth finish)

Bon chance!

• 2 weeks later...