Is there a need?

Hi All!

We are thinking about moving to Brittany, My parents live in the Midi Pyrenees (20 years) and my brother lives near Dieppe (18 years) I have read alot about people working as gardeners etc. but I would like to know if any one out there knows if there is a need for Dog Grooming in Brittany. I am qualified and run a successful business in England. obviously we would have to do a whole lot of homework first, but is the idea a no hoper or is there a need?

Thanks for any responses.

Hi Noeline,

I live in Brittany and although I can't tell you if there is a need for Dog Groomers here, there are dog groomers where I live (South Morbihan) and lots of French people do own dogs. Therefore there might be a some business opportunity in Brittany.

Good luck!

There are quite a lot of dog groomers about here in the towns and larger cities and recently on another brit/France forum someone in the central Brittany region was advertising use of their salon and tools for folks to do their own grooming and pay a lower fee. I think you should do plenty of homework as to the need of such a service because many folks have dogs here but as to having money for such a luxury item is another matter especially in country and fishing areas. Remember too that the social charges will be high and possibly you could end up working fornothing.

I guess it may not be so very different from here in the UK, some people want there dogs kept looking good (those who can afford it) and others need their hairy hound shaved down once or twice a year. The percentages of each may well be very different but if there are groomers out there, then there must be some need, I just have to find an area that doesn't have one close

Its not just grooming salons in towns you need to research - there are lots of mobile grooming companies too who go round the villages.  Doesnt sound as though you could make a living - pocket money perhaps. Also fluent French would be needed.  You need to market your service and have nice doggy chats with the owners to maintain a good atmosphere.  Its a fairly intimate kind of service and the French wouldn't probably be so keen if you dont communicate well.  Anyway, good luck.