Fosse certs

Bill

[quote user="Bill"]

Hi one and all .

when a new fosse is completed, what certificates should I expect ?

I assume there is some sort of enzyme starter, what is that called ?  

rgds

Bill

[/quote]

Our locals seem to favour a dead animal to help start a fosse.

When ours started we were told to buy Bio7 from a brico shop and that is what we continued to use. Never a problem.

However, I always checked to see if the other products we used were suitable for the fosse septique......... toilet paper and cleaning problems.  And make sure that all guests know to not put other than bodily waste and toilet paper down the toilet. No make up wipes, nappies, women's sanitary items.

The supermarkets have a selection of fosse products, just take your pick. We use Tarax, one box in a single dose lasts 6 months and is claimed to resist antibiotics. Some people prefer to dose it weekly with individual sachets.

It's not normally necessary to "shock" the fosse; just use it normally.

Edit: Certs... We received a certificate of compliance when the fosse was installed, and we get another certificate whenever it's inspected/emptied (we have an annual contract with SPANC, well worth investing for piece of mind).

thanks to all re enzyme starters , new system must have something.

[quote user="sid"]

Edit: Certs... We received a certificate of compliance when the fosse was installed, and we get another certificate whenever it's inspected/emptied (we have an annual contract with SPANC, well worth investing for piece of mind).

[/quote]

Just one cert of compliance , I assume from spanc.. thanks..

BUT    annual ??? [:-))]    that's a shocker.

Bill

We pay an annual fee towards the fosse inspection by SPANC - which is once every four years. I think it's 60 euros, so 15 euros per year added to our water bill.

I wonder if this what Sid means by his "annual contract".

As far as I'm aware these inspections are obligatory, as is the fee for them.

Lou

Yes, Lou, I meant the same as you. We pay 39€ per year (it's recently gone down, which is a pleasant surprise!)  for a 4-year renewable contract at the end of which they come and empty the fosse if necessary. I actual fact the first inspection and emptying took place after 5 years. They empty the fosse and check everything, filter, vent pipe etc and give an inspection report/certificate with a note of any work required (obligatory or advisory). In our case I had run over the plastic cover for the filter inspection with my mower and cracked it, and that's been noted as an outstanding item.

[quote user="sid"]The charge for emptying a fosse, assuming that you don't get a local farmer to do it illegally, is usually around 400€, so it's a good deal ! [;-)][/quote]

You must live in a very expensive part of the world Sid, or have an extremely large fosse. We paid 105 Euro six months ago. This was done by a proper company.