Shower 'S' unions scored along the 1/2inch thread.. ?

joidevie

Hi..

I just received a set of Grohe shower taps with an 'S' union wall escutcheon kit like this one

The 1/2 male end has linear scores all the way along the thread (visible in the photos in the link)..  Am I right in thinking that this for use with threading sealants?

I'm currently using Loctite 55, and not hemp/paste, and the instructions for the Loctite talks of 'scoring' threads before use. I assume Grohe have simply done this for me, or is this pre-done scoring for hemp only.. Or is even PTFE ok with the Grohe thread..

Many thanks, and please excuse my ignorance..

I installed a similar shower fixture, and another for a bath tap and they both had scorings as yours had.  As I didn't know what the significance of this was and since I already had the old taps off and in bits over the floor, I chose to ignore it and assemble with PTFE tape as usual.

Worked fine for me [B]

I think the scoring is for hemp.

I dont like these offset adaptors as to get the right pitch they often are not fully tightened and may later leak, leaks from the rear joint often being behind the tiling can wreak havoc before they are detected and result in considerable rework, if you havnt enough spare tiles you really are in the caca, in that respect I hate them as much as cabin showers.

What I do know if I have no choice but to use these unions is to shim the joint with as many fibre washers as necessary to ensure that it is tightened and has a good seal when in the final desired angular location, I do this to both threads.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I think the scoring is for hemp.

I dont like these offset adaptors as to get the right pitch they often are not fully tightened and may later leak, leaks from the rear joint often being behind the tiling can wreak havoc before they are detected and result in considerable rework, if you havnt enough spare tiles you really are in the caca, in that respect I hate them as much as cabin showers.

What I do know if I have no choice but to use these unions is to shim the joint with as many fibre washers as necessary to ensure that it is tightened and has a good seal when in the final desired angular location, I do this to both threads.

[/quote]

Loctite 270 will prevent them moving/leaking. But don't use it if you ever intend to remove them [:-))]