Screwfix

sid

The link is for the delivery page; doesn't it show a map of Europe? If not I wonder if this is another browser problem. On mine that link shows the map of Europe with their delivery destination countries in blue, but there is also a pop-up overlaid with the announcement "Now shipping to EU Countries". In fact I get this whenever I go to one of their pages for the first time.

I'm doing some more LED spotlight/downlighter research (I hope Théière is listening! [:)] ). As it happens, I'm not very keen on the Screwfix range, but this is what set me off.

They did a customer survey 4 or 5 years ago asking whether we would use them if they delivered to France; of course I said "yes" but I've done most of my major purchasing in the intervening years.

[quote user="sid"]

I'm doing some more LED spotlight/downlighter research (I hope Théière is listening! [:)] ). As it happens, I'm not very keen on the Screwfix range, but this is what set me off.

[/quote]

I'm all ears [:)]

The biggest problem with LED lamps is not the LED failing but the electronic driver. I tend to use 12v versions for downlighters then I can buy better quality external drivers or replace a failed one.  Using low voltage halogen transformers will substantially shorten the life of the LED though so proper regulated LED drivers are best.

I am just building some LED conversions for a company who are fed up with the metal halide lamps failing prematurely. I have to make suitable fixings for the LED's and heat sinks to fit inside their existing fittings. The metal halides are much more powerful in lumen output but not much of that light makes it out through the lights so ideal for LED conversion as they are so much more directional.

That's weird; I've tried it in Chrome and Firefox and they show the same page with a map of Europe! Can't understand that. [:@]

Théière; I'm looking at swivel downlighters, to be flush-mounted in a new plasterboard kitchen ceiling, and using LED GU10-type bulbs to get the equivalent, or as near as possible, to the GU10 50W light output we currently have in our hall; the equivalent seems to be a 7W LED. With the long life expectancy I shouldn't have to do any replacements while we're here! I didn't want to go to 12v with the transformers as I read that these get hot and on one site it says they use more power than the equivalent 230v fittings.

Do I really need to get "fire-rated" fittings do you think?

The only "transformers" that get hot are ones for 50w halogen, the equivalent 7-10w driver for an LED is exactly that and the heat would be just warm.  The same circuitry is used inside GU10's as the LED has the same power requirements, they are just tightly packaged inside the lamp. It is a personal choice.

Regarding fire rating, it's not the lamps they are worried about but the hole that can allow fire to spread at a much faster rate through the void and into another floor. It being a kitchen and the associated risk of fire then I would seriously consider them

Thanks Théière, my use of wrong terminology there, I said transformer because for the low voltage units I envisaged a step-down to 12V; for the LEDs at mains voltage I know there are "drivers".

OK, I've got fire-rated on my list of criteria now.

Hello All,

I'm Screwfix.Alex, from the Screwfix Community Forum. This thread has come to our attention and we thought that it may be a good idea to answer some of your questions directly.

I can confirm that we are shipping throughout Europe, with a few exceptions, which are detailed towards the bottom of this page: http://www.screwfix.com/jsp/landing.jsp?id=europeanDelivery

Ordering for delivery outside the EU does require a new account to be registered. You can do that by visiting this link, http://www.screwfix.com/jsp/container.jsp?forceUserMode=EU, and using the 'Register' link at the top of the page, or simply visit the site as usual and click the link at the foot of every page to 'Switch to European Mode'.

If you have further questions, or are struggling with any of the above, you are welcome to ask them on this thread (assuming that Complete France are kind enough allow us to continue answering here), or visit the Screwfix Community Forum (http://community.screwfix.com). Alternatively, you may continue to send emails to [email protected]

I hope this helps,

Screwfix.Alex

I am happy with Alex's post, he is not blatantly advertising just answering a question. If he starts posting product and special offers that's a different matter.

Thanks for the info Alex. When I get time I will copy it in to our FAQ section as the question has come up more than once.

Yes of course it's ok to advertise the business of the owners of Brico Depot, Castorama & B&Q after all they are big and suits the forum. Lets see what happens when the owners of swimming pools get going in the spring and I answer their posts [:)]

I shall remember this day [;-)]

Oh dear Oh dear I have had to edit your post for advertising and before you jump up and down do check Alex's post where you will see he makes no mention of what he sells, he has simply answered a question  about delivery. If you want to add the URL to your website via your settings you can do just like I and many others have over the years. We allow one link per person but no blatant advertising of your product. It has also been clear for a very long time that if somebody is asking to buy something and you sell it your quite welcome to contact them via the PM system but do please be aware that if you do blatantly advertise your products your posts will be edited or removed.