Collapsing ladder

Mrs Trellis

We bought a loft ladder in October, installed several weeks later in the new house - we haven't moved in yet.

Yesterday my husband was coming down the ladder and the lower part just broke away.  He fell and cut his hand and is very bruised but luckily missed the nearby circular saw and was not seriously injured.  Looking at the ladder, the section was held together with plastic bits which just flew out.

I feel this item is certainly not 'fit for purpose' as it should cope with being used more than a few times.  It is also very dangerous!  He was just using the ladder in the normal way and is not above average weight.

I guess we shall have to return to the shop - about 35 miles away - and ask for a refund.  What are our chances?  I've been told Lapeyre is very poor on customer service and am dreading going there.

This might not be the right thread but I can't find another.  The 'shopping' one says it's for suggestions of where to buy stuff.

I

I used Lapeyre a lot until the big store in Niort closed (it was right next to Castorama and I think the competition was too great). They re-opened as a kind of Argos-type operation where you can order stuff, but it's not as good. Anyway, I digress! I always found them to be very helpful. I only had a problem with one item, a roof window (their own brand of Velux-type window) and the handle was broken when I got it home. I took it back and it was replaced immediately.

Maybe the service varies from store to store, but there's nothing lost in trying (apart from fuel, and a couple of hours, oh yes!).

I have to ask whether it was correctly installed? These ladders usually need some trimming to get them to extend at the right angle; if not you may be putting too much strain on the folding joint?

thanks for that!  The ladder doesn't fold, it slides.  We've had one before in UK but the sliding parts were metal, not plastic.  OH is pretty handy at DIY so I think it was correctly installed.  Worked OK to start with.

A friend found after sales service pretty poor when they had Lapeyre install a kitchen.

Anyone no the French for 'not fit for purpose'?