Learning the hard way

Gyn_Paul

A word to the wise plumbers out there...

If you are forced by circumstances to use the flexible rubber connectors on either your 32mm or 40 mm drains make bloody sure the finished installation is inaccessible to rats and mice.

I had a hideous joint to make where a waste turned in not-quite 90 degrees in 3 planes (if you see what I mean) hard up against a concrete doorway where it was fighting for space with the existing hot and cold feeds. The only solution - other than demolishing a large section of the existing wall - was a flexible coupling, which I installed, checked for water-tightness, and then buried in foam. The little b**gers ate through the foam and nibbled some of the lower concertinas away, so now I have the contents of the kitchen sink sloshing around in the cavity behind the plasterboard. The only good(ish) thing is, because of the underfloor heating, both the plasterboard and the insulation start some 13 cms higher, at floor level. Not so the wooden studding, unfortunately... I just hope they dry out!

So be warned... the little sods get everywhere!

p

Quite right, all flexible pipe is susceptible as the extra plasticiser used to make it flexible seems to attract all sorts to munch away at it. Must be because of the softness. The same can and does happen to buried flexible pool pipe.  In the USA many pool companies won't use flex as the litigation is expensive and they have gone back to rigid.

Gyn_Paul you may try wrapping the flexible with stainless steel pot scourer as rodents do not like chewing on that.

Thanks for that, Anton, but I fear the total length of the Screwfix joint, is less than the 40mm flexy, but of course adding a straight connector would make it too long... and I haven't the access space to get a junior hacksaw in to cut it. The whole thing's an absolute b*gger. I remember now, I had to glue one end of the flexy on to 2 m. of waste, slide it into place, then fish around in the cavity for the end, encourage it round the corner, then glue the next piece on in situ.

What I wouldn't give for the UK polypipe system with 'O' rings in every connector!

What I shall probably end up doing is drilling a hole straight through the wall in the back of the sink unit and completely re-routing the waste.

As an attached question... does anyone have a 15 Litre chauffeau feeding - say - a kitchen sink without a groupe de securitie? (that's the other item draining into the existing waste... just wondering if I could manage with the H & C fed directly i.e. without the G de S).

I suppose I could always add a small vasque to take up the 600mls expansion....

thoughts anyone ??

p