Door hinges

woolybanana

Are these the paumelle? So have you looked up garnitures de portes paumelle droit? The doors in our old french house opened both 'right' and 'left', so you must be able to get them somewhere. A good old quincaillerie seach should do it[:)]

The banana is on a wind up for all you well meaning folks who replied, the [6] is the clue.

The question is Wooly are you a good enough carpenter to rehang a door albeait one that already fits the frame?

I do hope so cos you wont find many French artisans capable of actually hanging and fitting a door from scratch, rebating the hinges, morticing the lock etc, they have only ever known pre-hung and pre-equipped doors sold complete with frames.

Mind you its a job that sorts out the real carpenters from the so called ones even in the UK these days.

Good luck and the hinges will be found in the same section as the left handed screwdrivers.

Would I ever dare go fishing? Thank you Chancer, I was hoping for a few more in my net, but that will do.[;-)]

To answer your question, no, I am not. Everything I do is on the primitive side with much sanding and filling. But I am hoping that all these little bits and pieces will eventually help sell the house, when the time comes that is, if noone looks too closely.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Would I ever dare go fishing? Thank you Chancer, I was hoping for a few more in my net, but that will do.[;-)][/quote]

My excuse is that I am being a bit slow today: my IQ is being severely depleted by trying to think down to the level of some of the exam scripts that I am trying to mark and my will to live is leaking away.

However, you swine, you have now got me thinking about the design of the hinges and whether mirror-image versions exist (which they seem to) and whether they are necessary (possibly not).

Actually you had me as well Wooly, after I had posted I looked at the paumelles on my doors and said "blow me down they are handed unless the screw holes are countersunk on both sides" [8-)]

I hadnt got so far as to fouiner through my stock to confirm.

I recently hung and fitted 6 fire doors with Assa commercial locking, fire rated frames and hinges and intumescent strips, I also made the frames by planing down parquet and routing the intumescent grooves, the fit with intumescents/smokeseal has to be spot on but when you get it right they close with a satisfying "swish", the hinges and locks were a pain as they have radiussed corners and round ended faceplates plus round holes for the two door furniture spindles, luckily I had made up router templates and drill jigs in the past, it was a real production line.

[quote user="Chancer"]

The banana is on a wind up for all you well meaning folks who replied, the [6] is the clue.

The question is Wooly are you a good enough carpenter to rehang a door albeait one that already fits the frame?

I do hope so cos you wont find many French artisans capable of actually hanging and fitting a door from scratch, rebating the hinges, morticing the lock etc, they have only ever known pre-hung and pre-equipped doors sold complete with frames.

Mind you its a job that sorts out the real carpenters from the so called ones even in the UK these days.

Good luck and the hinges will be found in the same section as the left handed screwdrivers.

[/quote]

A while back I had a fairly protracted discussion with the guy at BricoDepot about their doors. I was trying to buy their basic partition door, but myself, the chap and some other random could not agree whether the "left" and "right" versions opened FROM the left or TO the left, or vice versa or whether left and right are as viewed from inside or outside the room. Anyway, we finally settled the matter and I bought one (Cant remember if it was left or right in the end), got it home and obviously it was the wrong bloody one!

I would have taken it back, but it had got a bit dirty in the trailer on the way home, and I didnt fancy a 40 minute drive there for him to refuse the refund on a €25 door, so I swapped it round myself...... I had the opposite type of hinges in the garage, so set them into the frame, cut out the other side for the latch and all was well....except that the end of the door is not square! They are slightly chamfered to allow them to open without rubbing on the frame, and I now had the non-chamfered side as the opening side so it rubbed.....a few tickles with the planer got it right.

I asked once how it worked and wished that I hadnt [:(]

What I got from it is that say ouvrante à droite means that you stand on the side that the door opens towards and the handle is on the left, so I said "you mean ouvrante a droite means hinges on the right and it opens to the right".

Non non monsieur was the reply, ouvrante a droite means handle on the left which you open with your right hand!!! [:-))]

I asked what if the person is left handed or an amputee, they didnt have a response!!!!