shipping materials from UK to France (Jura region)

mpok8

What is the most cost effective way of shipping building materials (e.g. plaster, skirting boards, etc.) from the UK to France? Has anyone got any experience of this or is it a case of getting a man with a van?

thanks

As you would be looking at transporting stuff that is :

a) 3m in length or b) 25kg bags of stuff

then the normal delivery people would charge you a fortune

There are white van delivery people around who would charge you (probably) a % of the value of the load (there is one like that around here).

I've brought back the odd bag or two of wickes multi-finish, but only because I was travelling to-and-from the UK. There are enough "just as good as" substitutes you can buy in France.

As has been suggested on your other post - buy your own router for the skirting boards. And have a play with the various types of plaster that are around. I would suggest though that you buy a decent Marshall trowel if you intend to do the plastering yourself. It makes it a bit easier, but the plaster is coarser than in the UK and standard trowel application is nor necessarily the best way.

• 4 weeks later...
Lots of ways actually:

- parcelsplease.com smaller, some size restrictions but very good prices

- anyvan.com, shiply.com - post a bid for people already driving that way who can add your stuff on

- blablacar.com - or other other sharing websites. bit of a risk. Basically, people already going your way might be persuaded to add on some of your stuff into their journey.

:-)