Faux stone briquettes

Angie

Has anyone ever used these and how easy/difficult are they to put up. There are a couple of styles I like which come in 1 square metre boxes in varying sizes of "stone" to make up a pattern. My husband reckons the style with the smaller pieces of stone are going to be a pain and has opted for the larger size "stones" which I don't like as much.  We have about six square metres to do so don't want it to turn into a nightmare!

Angie, by briquettes, do you mean the imitation stone slabs to put on the ground or the things that you stick on exterior walls to form some sort of weather shield?

If it's just to make a terrace, you might like to consider a concrete aggregate which can look pretty smart, especially if you "break up" the area with a pattern of slabs, for example, using nice perhaps real stone slabs to form a border or make some other sort of pattern.

If you mean those dreadful slabs that go on walls, do not even consider doing it.  Water will get in some way or another and, when it freezes in the winter and then thaws, they will shear off and could take off some of the original wall finish, leaving you with something really horrible looking.

As said you need to explain where you propose to use them.

I think they look completely naff, the only exceptions that I have seen are the ones that look like multi-facetted cleaved slate, poor description but for a small feature wall etc against a contrasting enduit they are OK.

The stone ones can look OK for a small bar counter for example, dépends on what is beside them, the brick ones just look pants especially where they have to go around a corner. I would never use them as an external ravalement but many do and they look rubbish from the get go and even worse once they deteriorate.

[quote user="Chancer"]

As said you need to explain where you propose to use them.

I think they look completely naff, the only exceptions that I have seen are the ones that look like multi-facetted cleaved slate, poor description but for a small feature wall etc against a contrasting enduit they are OK.

The stone ones can look OK for a small bar counter for example, dépends on what is beside them, the brick ones just look pants especially where they have to go around a corner. I would never use them as an external ravalement but many do and they look rubbish from the get go and even worse once they deteriorate.

[/quote]

If the mortar joints are finished in the traditional way rather than the brico way they can look ok. With more emphasis on insulation for building there is like to be a lot more faux stone used.  I have used brick slips and mortared those in the trad way and nobody knew they were glued on strips.  Careful avoiding of patter repeats prevents them looking like 3D wallpaper

Do you mean pointed in the UK and rest of world way rather than the French way of after the wall is finished using an icing bag?

I have yet to see any French pointing and especially repointing that is a patch on any of mine and all I have as experience is a few evening classes and having watched proper bricklayers earn their trade.

I was discussing the "French way" of no artisan actually doing all of his job, a macon insisting that its a facadier who must go round after him doing the pointing, a plaquiste who will not sand the bandes he has done, its the decorators job etc when my French friend informed me that the DTU for brick and blockwork states very clearly that the pointing must be done as the bricks/blocks are laid in the UK fashion.

He also said that the correct joint section was detailed which was "bucket handle" pointing

Of course it is widely ignored and we end up with the omni-present cake icing smeared all over the face brickwork.

I kind of meant with chaux and sand, it would have to be afterwards with brick slips or faux tuffeaux to allow the bond time to set.  I know what you mean with the french, why I call them robots, programmed to carry out one task only till the day they die or get laid off, But in fairness it's dumbing down in the UK too so you only have to pay minimum wages.

Hi there, thanks for all your answers and advice.  I actually want to use them internally on an end wall in the dining room.  The room is pretty featureless and thought this "finish" might be a nice option.  Our house is new so would like something other than plain painted walls in this room.  As the wall is quite large we couldn't afford real stone and in any case, wouldn't have a clue where to buy it!

If you go for the 'riven slate' type of slips and once in situ do some random struck pointing you can get quite a convincing effect. Thing is 'period finishes' even when done well can look naff in a modern house. Have you considered timber like weathered Iroko (silver grey) as a more modern and relatively cheap material?

[quote user="Angie"]Hi there, thanks for all your answers and advice.  I actually want to use them internally on an end wall in the dining room.  The room is pretty featureless and thought this "finish" might be a nice option.  Our house is new so would like something other than plain painted walls in this room.  As the wall is quite large we couldn't afford real stone and in any case, wouldn't have a clue where to buy it![/quote]

Angie, I am delighted you aren't going to be using them on an exterior wall.

I don't think these things work well on exterior walls, as I have explained in an earlier post.

I suppose you could consider fabric or perhaps even an expensive and unusual wallpaper?  Plus some "statement" piece like a beautiful mirror?