Gas cylinders

EmilyA

We have always used the solid blue butagaz cylinders for our Lacanche cooker. There are two cylinders in the cellar with a switchable connection which come up to the cooker in the kitchen, where there is an on/off safety switch. This system has always worked fine. We have today decided to switch over to the Butagaz Viseo cylinders and installed them as per instructions with all new connections. The gas lights but then goes out again after a few seconds.

We have a small cube which we use in our guest cottage that has the same connections and that works fine.

Any ideas, anyone?

There could be some air in the cylinders? Does it happen when you switch to the other cylinder as well? You can check tat by moving one of them outside and well ventilated and venting off some gas for a few seconds. If there is air it will sit on the top of the gas and will be pushed out, but make sure it is well ventilated and NO naked flames of any kind around!!!

You say that they are in the cellar? Is it underground and only accessible by stairs or is it one that's at ground level with the house higher and above ground? Because if it is below ground there is a definite safety problem because both butane and propane are heaver than air and will pool in a below ground cellar if you get a leak.

If you have any doubts about venting them then return them and get replacements!

You are very welcome [:D]

I learned that from a mate who was a manager of a place where we used to live. He told me that some people actually demanded a replacement even though he had told them it was the problem.

It didn't worry me because once they were sold and returned with the seal broken they had to go back for 'refilling' and rather than do that I used to give him my empties and get the full returns [8-|]  I didn't buy gas for several years [:-))]

All of the cylinders we have had here have had a collar that screws onto the top of the cylinder that doubles as a handle. Unscrew that and the left hand thread has always had a red, I think, plastic seal to break off.

All 3 of the cylinders we have at the moment have been used, so I can't show you a photo.

I agree, I have always had something as Jonzjob describes and I use Carrefour propane gas cylinders now.  In the past I have used Calorgaz and they had an orange snap off cap IIRC.

I don't think I would accept a cylinder without the seal being intact

Stands almost 2' high, 13kg and that's the ones I get with the seal on them. The weight is the tare weight and the weight of the bottle is shown on a small collar around the neck.

I have no idea why the o nes you get aren't sealed?