Barn conversion

Hi all,

in about a years time me, my partner and our two children are planning to move to our farmhouse in the very rural limousin area.

We own a very liveable farmhouse and a structurally sound barn on a secluded 7 property hamlet. My dream is to convert the barn into a domestic dwelling therefor i have come to this forum for any possible information, advice etc..... big or small :)

I have worked in the construction business for years i am a qualified plumbing and heating engineer and have many skills in other areas.

Thanks in advance

Also there are rules in place that there can be no habitable building 

within a 100 metres of a barn/cowshed....... ie any building where farm

animals are kept.

Very rural? have you thought about getting your kids to school?

And have you thought about the brexit and how that could affect your plans? 

[:)] it could certainly affect our plans[Www]

I agree with what HSD has written, although with your background in the building industry it may be that you make a rather more accurate first guess on the costs, it is very likely that the final costs will be much more than expected.

France uses a zoning system for its land and land use. First task is to establish what zone your barn sits in. Just because it sits near or even attached to your house does not mean that it will be in a zone that permits housing.

If it turns out that the barn is in an agricultural zone (which might seem very logical) the first step will be to get a certificate of urbanisation to change the zoning. This may prove very easy and may be impossible. The "system" seems to run by unfathomable rules.

If you do have to call in professionals to do some of the work, be aware of the very strict demarcations that exist. The concept of the general builder has largely not arrived in France. So when Amanda Lamb proudly announces on a TV program that she has spoken to a builder and he can do all the work to convert this ruin for 20,000€, this is true. However to be added on are the costs for the plumber, electrician, roofer, carpenter, tiler, heating engineer, painter etc.. And all of these guys have to pay very high social charges, so expect the costs to be higher than you might expect from your UK experience.