Complete France Forum

Strange Fruit

Lehaut

Found these in a local shop and had to buy them to try them for the first time.  Have not quite made up my mind whether its a pleasant or interesting eating experience. They still present a hazard in their de-spined state!  Do others enjoy them and how?

image.thumb.jpeg.d3fc18fd78194473e58a90e2320f1993.jpeg

Interesting.  There was no warning on the packet about MRD, luckily I only had one a day.  I had difficulty enjoying the eating experience as its 50% pulp on the inside and 50% very hard seeds.  I read that they were edible and seemed to have "passed" OK - but it meant you had to suck rather than chew the pulp.

Still always interesting to try something new - and live to tell the tale.

Perhaps I should have said "may make one very constipated", as it probably depends on the individual.

Actually, I was never tempted to eat more than one.

BTW, where we lived in Algeria they were served peeled, in a bowl (or bucket) of water with lots of ice.

"Like all delicious foods, the prickly pear is best eaten in moderation. If you eat more than 2 or 3 (depending on your digestive system) they may leave you constipated for days… or you might have the direct opposite problem. Love and hate, indeed!"

Source: https://www.journeybeyondtravel.com/blog/5-things-you-should-know-about-the-prickly-pear.html

A way to peel them without getting spiked, if you want to bother with them:

1 hour ago, menthe said:

SPIKES?  Those are not spikes, they are little skin protrusions.

If you want to talk about REAL spikes, you want to try and cut open a durian😁

Durian spikes are easier to see and avoid. I left it to the servants to eat them anyway, as long as they did so away from the house. I couldn't get past the smell.

You have to look a bit closer to see those on prickly pears. https://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/Prickley Pear.php