Complete France Forum

taxe foncière rip off?

Since the abolition of the Taxe d’Habitation for most of us the TF has increased. remorselessly every year, clearly an attempt to replace the take from the TdH. And most obviously it is the refuse collection part that has increased the most. Now, I have a sneaky feeling that there is a wangle going on here at least in my communité des communes; given the reduction by half in the yellow and black bin collections as well as the abolition of the green bin collection completely, how is the increase justified?

Of course, behind the collection and tri is probably Veolia, a rapacious and very profitable company who could simply be jacking up the price of a captive clientele, or, greedy mayors who want to increase the money going into their coffers and who see rubbish collection as a good cover.

The problem is that there is no published external oversight which permits the rats to function as they wish.

Any thoughts, svp?

I always figured they'd find and/or implement ways to recover the loss of the Taxe d'Hab.  It was inevitable.  So they are and they have begun.  The trash collection fees are, IMO, just the beginning.  In the end, I suspect the Taxe Fonc. will have increases that will come close to the removed Taxe d'Hab.

Am I a negative Nelly.  Yes, probably, but I guess we'll see in the coming years.

Just to give you our situation for comparison.  For us, 2-person household, the rubbish collection is 250€ per annum for 2 30-litre bags a fortnight.  In this weather the smell and the maggots are enough to give you the pip.  And we are lucky in that we have a shed as well as a large sous-sol to keep the bags until we have 2 bags and it is a fornight since we last took our rubbish to the bacs.

As my husband has been ill recently, I take the bags in the wheelbarrow because I won't put those smelly things in the car.

Last year, we opened the bacs 4 more times than our agreed contract and we paid 45€.  Next week, we will have 2 people visiting from the UK (they don't stay at our house but at a nearby gîte) and of course being vacanciers, without the necessary card authorising opening the bins, they will once again be asking if they could leave their rubbish with us.

I don't know what the really elderly and unfit do about taking their own rubbish to the bacs.

And, as you have all said, the TF has gone up exponentially.

Our rubbish collection has gone up from 232 to 241.  Its collected once a week (at 0530 in the summer months) which includes the recycling too.

I notice that the percentage of the Base for the TF for our flat is based on is now 50% of the Base (an increase of 3.5% over last year).  I understood that the French Government were reluctant to carry out a revaluation ( currently 80% of the rentable value) after seeing the poll tax riots in the UK.  Our Base value is laughably below the 80% of rental value, but I suppose they can get round it by just allowing the multiplying percentage to go over 100% in the years to come.