Complete France Forum

French End of Life discussions

The majority in the Assemblée is trying to find consensus for discussions on an End of Life bill. Knowing the French they will make it so difficult that it will atrophy. Just think of the forms to fill in. DNR is bad enough!

Anybody got thoughts? Me, I am all for someone pulling the plug when I want it.

https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2024/05/27/aide-a-mourir-la-majorite-a-la-recherche-d-un-consensus-lors-de-l-examen-du-projet-de-loi-a-l-assemblee-nationale_6235791_3224.html

Posted (edited)

Any competent adult should have their decision of when their time has come to leave the world respected.  The one thing we humans surely have left to us is the choice of when to die.  The choice should be the individual's alone.  I have thought  that for a very long time, not just because this has all reared it's ugly head again recently.  Experienced doctors who both know their patients and are competent, know that occasionally 'bypassing" the law is needed in an intelligent society such as we humans are meant to be in.  Governments should not have the power of such a choice as this. [And I am usually a very law-abiding citizen, but this I have believed is a human right for a very long time, sometimes the only one we have left.]

Edited by Judith

3 hours ago, Judith said:

Governments should not have the power of such a choice as this. [And I am usually a very law-abiding citizen, but this I have believed is a human right for a very long time, sometimes the only one we have left.]

Totally agree..

Macron has no right to choose when I want to die.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

If this measure is held up it is most likely to be the Catholic Right which remains opposed to any such measure and will use all their behind the scenes power to block it.

Well they would, wouldn't they, after all it is an obscure organisation whose leader refers to gay men as 'faggots'.

When I catch a glimpse of the Grim Reaper🧙‍♂️ on the horizon, I'll be on the first plane to Switzerland, knocking, not on heaven's door but, that of Dignitas.

Posted (edited)

In fact, if your doctor is in agreement, a dignified end of life has been available for quite some time, *IF * you are in end stage of an incurable illness. I know this for a fact, as two members of my family went down this route, here in France.  

Edited by betise
clarity

12 hours ago, betise said:

In fact, if your doctor is in agreement, a dignified end of life has been available for quite some time, *IF * you are in end stage of an incurable illness. I know this for a fact, as two members of my family went down this route, here in France.  

Thank you for posting that Betise. I'm sorry for the loss of your family members.

It is good to know that there may be some assistance here in France. 

Now, if they can expand the assistance so that patients are not forced to wait until they are in extreme and constant pain and misery before doctors act, that would be a big improvement.

Lori, what was offered was "La sédation profonde et continue jusqu'au décès est un soin consistant à endormir profondément une personne atteinte d'une maladie grave et incurable pour soulager ou prévenir une souffrance réfractaire. Elle est associée à une analgésie et à l'arrêt des traitements de maintien en vie."

It is already legal, but not all doctors agree to administer it. It can be done at home, and in the case of my brothers in law, results in a coma like state, that lasts just a few days, followed by death. 

I see.  I hope they can improve on that treatment.  Lasting several days sounds really difficult.  Though I realize without that the patient would most likely be suffering in a far more serious manner. 

I think it should be assisted so that it doesn't take so long.

If your doctor is a practicing Catholic or Muslim, could they refuse or block end of life, final treatment or can you change doctors or force a decision in your favour? Presumably there would be a guardian to oversee this?

I have no difficulty with myself opting for this dignified way out.  A bag full of nitrogen is a peaceful way to go.

However, I have my doubts that for society as a whole, the legal ramifications of an individual opting for it will take some getting past.

You only have to see how many older people are easily scammed out of their life savings, having "work" done on their dwellings etc to see how avoiding pressure from "loved ones" who want their inheritance needs safeguards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A previous Gp of mine said he used to find it noticeable that patients and families would plead with the doctor to ‘ free them from their suffering’  yet there would be big bottles of morphine solution in the house that only the minimum dose would be taken from,he felt that people want to put the responsibility ultimately onto someone else