Complete France Forum

Pavillons not pub-off subject follow up

WJT

I have been out until now and was about to post in the now locked thread. [:(] I wanted to explain something and perhaps this is a better place anyway, this way Dick can't accuse me of going off subject, because it is my subject. [:-))]

I'm sure most would not have the slightest interest in this, so please don't read further if you feel the need to comment about not being of interest or being a rant, because I do not want to waste your time, so please look away now. [:)]

However, I feel I must set the record straight. I made comments about the construction and future development of  pavillons becoming a problem in our village because of bad planning and no respect for the surroundings or the local population. I was then accused of not caring for the poor or young families that need affordable housing .

I just wanted to make one thing clear because this label has really upset me, [:'(] it couldn't be further from the truth. But perhaps without understanding the intent behind my statements it may have come across this way, particularly if someone knew nothing about me.

I wish I had used another term other than pavillon, because it could have easily been replaced with the term "monster house" built for the wealthy, (new build mansions of poor quality and without any regard to planning and surroundings, common in the states, a very quick and easy way for developers to make big money). Instead of the average 60 to 80 square meter "pavillon" that I am referring to, the monster house an average 3,500 square metre house or larger. I would have the same problem (actually a much much greater problem) with a development of these next to a beautiful old village here in France, or on top of an existing property.

My comments do not apply to all pavillons (I guess this term is the French equivalent to an English bungalow), because this is something that perhaps my husband and I would consider later on in life. I have seen many here that are very pretty, well built, well cared for and built in lovely positions. Obviously, these have been well thought out and had excellent planning for lovely locations, roads and amenities etc.. Not to mention offer an easy life that is looking more appealing all the time. [:)]

However, what I was referring to, were the ones popping up in inappropriate places where services are not available and have a very negative impact on the local population and do not blend, but clash with the local surroundings and people. I mentioned that I personally know of one lady and a couple that is being affected by this in our tiny village that consists of a small bar/tabac, but there are plenty of other examples in our area of this lack of planning and impact.

I do know that there is a need for housing and certainly a need for affordable housing for young families. But I suspect that these young families would prefer a choice of affordable housing that will enhance the area and provide better long term solutions for them as well. I personally would hate to by a new build house amongst dozens of others, knowing I destroyed a family because my property was built right on top of theirs, particularly knowing this family was told that this could never happen in the first place.

I still don't think I have made myself clear, unless you have actually seen what I am referring to, it may be very hard to understand. I wouldn't have even bothered with any of this if there hadn't been a post accusing me of being something I am not. I just want to clear my name for the record. Luckily, most of you only know me as WJT! [:)]

I may also have to write another to explain my comment on me being a capitalist at heart as well. I always will be, when it applies to big government, bureaucracy, red tape and small businesses. But big business is another matter, I think owning a property in France for almost three years now is having an impact. I am perhaps very tentatively putting at least one foot in the other camp. [:D] At least I have learned that I now hate, the huge billboards around our area, that is for sure. [Www]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WJT, I totally understand and agree with what you are saying.  I think you was referred to as a "snob" on the other thread, but I do not see this as being the case, more to the point you have an interest in the asthetics of your surrounding environment.  I cannot speak for the level of affordable housing need in France with the same confidence as UK.  However, I must agree that very little thought has gone into the design of these houses.  And, must they all be pink???

I don't know what it is like in the rest of France, but round our way most of the developments of this type in the villages and small towns are subsidised plots intended to attract new residents as well as keep existing people in the commune rather than have them leave for the cities to find work, and thus keep the communities alive. Although the individual buys the plot, it is usually up to them to actually have the house built. The general style, materials, and, in particular, the colour, are stipulated by the commune. The result seems to be a mixture of standards, some built cheaply, and some very nice. There is a sort of harmony, because there is not usually a lot of variation between the designs, though none of the schemes would win the Stirling prize. The site is usually what would otherwise be waste land, so the visual impact is not too bad. If it does look ugly or inappropriate , it's the commune's fault. So I reckon we can assume that because it's a commune-based scheme, it is what the locals want to see.

That's not to be confused with the truly dreadful blocks of HLM flats in the bigger towns, or the developments of larger private building plots around the same towns. Although the larger houses have to be approved by the DDE there are still some pretty inappropriate ones. I know of at least one English couple building a mini South Fork among the bungalows. I suppose if these developments end up as eyesores, though, the DDE is failing.

Thank you Katie for your message. The funny thing is I quite like pink! I know in "the other south of France" [:)]  pink is very desirable  for a villa I believe and I have seen some very pretty pink pavillons here too.  But the pink I am talking about for a few new ones around here will knock your socks off.[:D]

I too know what you are talking about WJT.  I call them cracker boxes and yes they always seem to be either pink or pale orange.  I can absolutely sympathise with the need for affordable housing.  But, does it HAVE to lack all aspects of charm and the environment where it is located.

And, no I can tell you WJT is not a snob !

Lori, thank you so much for your comment. [:)]

Will, I do believe that the commune is failing and I don't believe that the people here are happy about what is happening at all. I do know that there was some sort of big hoopla here of some sort and a meeting a few months back. I don't fully understand what it was about, but from what I can gather, two houses were built without proper consent.  By the way, they are certainly not being built on waste land and many are being built that are very intrusive to existing properties as I have mentioned. Even those that aren't, it is certainly not waste land.

I have seen the example you have described about being individually built but apparently the land on which the lady I mentioned lives, that was meant to be non constructible (?), there will be a development of a number of houses. I don't know what sort of houses they will be but I feel is in an inappropriate location regardless.

Dick's not unknown for going off subject [:)], unlike me [;-)], so he's among the last to come to my mind as a potential whistle-blower on off-subjectedness. [:-))]

Around here pavillons are pink or apricot.  I assume we can use the term pavillon for all new builds and won't be told by someone that the term means a detached house. 

I also sympathise with WJT's point.  We had a meeting recently about the urbanisation plan for the commune and whilst two of the plots proposed for development were what I would call 'brownfield' or wasteland inside the village bounds, another larger one is currently an agricultural spit of land that extends into the village and open up views to the forest.  I would hate to think that the latter would be developed unless there were nowhere else to go. We have a chance to put our viewpoints about this in writing (which I will) but I don't know what good it will do.

Dick, what is the rule of holes?

My comments were meant to be lighthearted but I should have known that doesn't go down well with you. I made them because on the locked thread you referred to the discussion of pavillons being off topic and was a rant,  of course we know you have never done this. [Www]  Outside of the original one post I made the rest were made trying to explain and defend myself.

This is not the first time you have done this to me.  I actually stupidly sent you a PM to apologise for my transgression of perhaps hijacking a  thread you so wisely pointed out, and of course it was ignored (actually photo and you were correct).  I have noticed in the past when you have been in heated discussions, people have apologised to you, sometimes they have been in the wrong and sometimes not, but I have never seen you accept it.

I have a feeling the above "rule of holes" means there is a rule that I shouldn't have started this thread for some reason. I apologise if that isn't the case, but if it is you have ignored the warning in my original post. [:)]  Now this really is off topic.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

He always is !   But he just defended my woman friend WJT.   [:)]  What if we women decided where the pavillons should be built and in what colour and style ?

I would put them in a lotissement in a clearing in a wood, with a nice little drive down to them.   [:)]

[/quote]

Now there's an idea CA! I'll bet the quality of those little boxes would go up overnight! Can I clear the woods?

No I'm not looking for a fight, just a little action, I'm pretending to work on our website but really I'm on the forum, nobody tell please[6]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

I would put them in a lotissement in a clearing in a wood, with a nice little drive down to them.   [:)]

[/quote]

That is so funny, it has to be worth repeating. [:D]

Thank you for calling me your friend Christine, I am honoured. [kiss]

Chris, what pig thread? [:-))]

The only Pig Thread that comes to mind is one where Chris got a lot of flak for posting a picture of a pig being slaughtered/butchered in a thread where someone was asking about the regulations regarding bringing a pig to France.  But there may be others.

Archived