Complete France Forum

I'm cancelling Christmas!

mint

Christmas, what already?

Only just recovered from last year's!

What with the drinks evenings and the nibbles (which I had to organise with the help of a French lady) as I wasn't sure what to serve in those early days, I am now faced once more with the dreaded once-a-year "do"!

Help!  No ideas, no money (exchange rate to blame), at my wits' end!

Don't want to do nothing but OH very keen (as usual as he has to do bug all), I think I'm going to go into hibernation, put on a bold front, tell everybody that there is a "chute" of "le livre" and just generally act INCAPABLE!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone's got better ideas as to how to SURVIVE Christmas?

Post please, and PRONTO!

[quote user="sweet 17"]No, PLEASE don't post another picture similar to that grub you stuffed yourself with last year. I just can't bear it![/quote]Not to worry sweets. I'm not a prisoner this year, due home on Wed for a luvverly 3 weeks. I can scarcely believe its only a fortnight short of a whole year since I posted those piccies though, bl00dy 'eck [:'(]

Friends of ours here in France have regular paties- get togethers and they provide a box of wine, a pack of beers and some nibbles.  The guests then bring wine or beer and the wives make some goodies to eat.  It works well so maybe you could try it as well. No one minds contributing and a good time is had by all.

You all make me feel guilty when I think of the meals mum and sister have planned !! [:$]

Best thing to do sweety 17 , is ask a family to bring a starter, the other  main course ( maybe you can share the cost of that), then another cheese , or dessert ( a buche ? )

Things to drink too..

Dunno, maybe that sounds too French .

you can get away with pretty much anything if you tell the French that you are giving them a typical "English supper evening", then get your biggest saucepan out and make some mulled wine (dead simple), throw loads of small jacket potatoes in the oven, a tray of small sausages and load up the table with some fillings - coleslaw, grated cheese, baked beans and also some bread and pate.  Get everyone to serve themselves and make sure there's plenty of cutlery and plates around.   Very simple but filling and it's not something that our French friends are accustomed to, but which they seem to like, I don't think they do jacket tatties over here very much.

it's not that the French don't like English food, but it is surprising.

I lived in England so it is not really to me, but when we go to the UK, my son finds so many things " weird", which does not mean he won't try and like them.

I could never get used to jelly .. OMG ; was sick all night on my 20th birthday cos of it    LOL

Anyway, whatever you have for a meal, enjoy yourself Sweet 17! [kiss]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I could never get used to jelly .. OMG ; was sick all night on my 20th birthday cos of it    LOL

Anyway, whatever you have for a meal, enjoy yourself Sweet 17! [kiss]

[/quote]

Jelly, creme anglaise and eponge.

Don't trifle with us Brits. [:D]

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/desserts/trifles/viewall.aspx?Photos=On

A song for Sweet 17, to lift your spirits

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCdDwvhgcw [kiss]

Only ten days to go [:-))]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Egypt or ISTANBULLLLLLLLLLLLLLL[/quote]

Having spent quite a lot of time in all these countries, with the exception of Algeria for obvious reasons, I have to tell you that you can't get away from Christmas there.  They don't celebrate it as such but they still decorate restaurants, the souks etc and hold festivals for the westerners there.  So there's no hiding place......

Archived