Complete France Forum

George Gently ...a tax disk question

krusty

The rule has always been to display the tax disc on the lower (kerbside) part of the windscreen. 

That said, I always used to stick mine up at the top behind the mirror on the basis that if the spit dried out in the summer heat, the plastic holder wouldn't fall off and disappear out of the passenger window.....[;-)]

In my mid-60s Beetle the plastic holder + tax disc disappeared into the giant demisting vent on the NS. Thereafter welded it behind rear view mirror until officious PC Plod pointed out the error of my ways.

John

Aussi moi, and can't really think of a logical reason why anyone would put it in the bottom right.

The theory of it being bottom left is if you parked facing the flow of traffic, as most used to although not anymore since the need for parking lights was abolished, it could be seen and read from the pavement by a policeman.

Now you have mentioned parking lights Ernie, that has reminded me that in those days you hooked a single parking light over the drivers door window to save leaving your side lights on all night.

AA men riding a bike and sidecar would salute you if you had an AA badge on the front of your car.

Also in those days, to get some overtime, I would work on Saturdays fitting heaters and windcreen washer kits to new cars whose owners had specified those optional extras.

Those were the good old days??

[quote user="Weedon"]Those were the good old days??[/quote]They felt like it at the time. Still got an old window mounted parking light somewhere but can't think of a single defensible reason why I bothered carting it all the way to France. Probably the same reason I toted a weighty box full of nuts, bolts, washers and other 'useful' bits representing a collection amassed over 45 years of bike and car ownership, all imperial of course [:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Almost as 'off the wall' as when I saw a twin rotor Wankel engine and gearbox laying on a garage floor and thought to myself, "you know, that would comfortably fit in an MGB" [:-))]

[/quote]

I wouldn't. It would probably pull it in two [:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Interesting notion.

Almost as 'off the wall' as when I saw a twin rotor Wankel engine and gearbox laying on a garage floor and thought to myself, "you know, that would comfortably fit in an MGB" [:-))]

[/quote]

Happy days!

The fun in the 60s, was building up race and road cars from all sorts of unlikely combinations....................

Like the Janglia: Ford Anglia replete with 3.8 Jag lump.

Like the 3 Litre V6 MK1 Cortina Special Saloon Class I built on the ex Bengt Soderstrom Safari Rally Car: well before Willment et al had even considered dumping a V6 into a Cortina.

The most frightening, however, was a Cortina belonging to a strange and lunatic Irish rally driver I wot of. Whilst we were repairing his Renault Gordini rally car (which he had  dumped into a drainage ditch in the middle of the night through over-exuberance: and slid along on its side until a large, knarled and ancient oak tree gave it an instant facelift!) he was howling around in this car; someone other lunatic had dropped a Ford V8 6.7 Litre two speed auto lump in and the gearbox cross-member was a chunk of stout angle iron!

After a service, I was foolish enough to road test the car: and found as it reached 40 mph, it went into a teeth rattling speed wobble- and swerved, repeatedly from kerb-to-kerb! Which could only be cured by accelerating above 50. I somehow managed to creep back to the garage at 15 mph and when the guy came to collect his bolide, asked him how he drove it!

He expressed total surprise: obviously drove around town at 70!

[:-))]

good spotting little ern, I remember the Dobson car finishing quite well, at least looking good but a conversation of disatisfaction in the paddock after, that it was destroying transmissions, and don't recall seeing it again, I think about the same time Terrys 4.7 (great bloke, went to his workshops several times near Bradford on avon) was boiling its brains out though the reason escapes me .

Archived