Complete France Forum

Nice bit of vehicle design work.

Bugsy

And what happens when some out of control Chelsea Tractor smacks you straight in the side!

Take out a second mortgage for the repair cost?

Furthermore, when you are older like me, the simple leaping out days are but a distant memory: us geriatrics tend to use the door to assist us in rising fom the seat: of course, perhaps the designers have also developed a rising catapault seat, that chucks the occupant into the road!

[:D]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Furthermore, when you are older like me, the simple leaping out days are but a distant memory: us geriatrics tend to use the door to assist us in rising fom the seat: of course, perhaps the designers have also developed a rising catapault seat, that chucks the occupant into the road!

[:D]

[/quote]

Oh, Gluey, you do make me laugh!

But I agree about the "leaping out" bit and not only leaping out, but leaping down as well.  If I'm on a low wall and feel tempted to leap down, I nearly always stop myself in case I jar my knees or my shins.

Happy days, when I could have just jumped down or leapt out or even  hopped from side to side with abandon!

Peter G  is  right ..We all tend to protect ourselves with a part opened door while we put the brolly up when is blowing and raining hard ....Standing outside getting a kid out of a car seat without the shelter of the door and the rain blowing in   ...no..... cant see it used anywhere than in the Middle East .or by people who have another car for going out in the wet ! Nice idea though ...

Well I suppose that you could do that Anton (in the event of a power failure) but only if the sunroof has a manual opening handle, - "no sir, the car is made for the L.A. market and has aircon but no sunroof". [Www]

I wonder if the bints in cocktail dresses (I assume that they are an extra cost option) would look so smug if there was an underbonnet or electrical fire which would rapidly blow the fusible link isolating all electrical items including the must have disappearing doors.

I hope that their dresses are made of Nomex.

There was a Renault, some years ago, (30?) JR, where the electric windows, and central locking were fused through one main circuit.

I remember reading about a man and his wife who pulled onto a garage forecourt and sat there waving their hands wildly: and were ignored by the person in the petrol kiosk...........

Eventually a member of staff did wonder why they had been parked there for an hour or so: and standing close to the car realised their plight: went off and fetched a piece of High Tech Door Opening Kit: a large hammer!

Whereupon he smashed a window, allowing them to finally escape!

Mmm! I was going to suggest that it as an urban legend and that surely, even Renault would have not omitted to fit a mechanical door handle to get out of the car?

And then I found that I could replicate the same circumstances on my own car (with deadlocking central locking) but thankfully I didnt fuse anything, might have been a bit embarassing!

I would say that you could definitely lock and trap someone in my car if you were outside with the keyfob which then got dropped down a drain grating, perhaps a parent popping in to pay for their fuel/fags/lottery tickets?

I have heard of people having problems with Espaces and being either locked in or out and also getting it to start. I have also seen first hand people who have problems with the car not locking.

These problems seem to revolve around these 'credit card' keys, In reverse order we had a guest who asked if he could borrow our phone to contact the hire company as his car never locks. He press's the lock button on the card but when he returns the car is unlocked. I had to explain to him that whoever has the 'key' and approaches the car it automatically unlocks. He din'd belive me so I locked the car and went away, the car stayed locked. When I approached the car it unlocked, cleaver?

There have been some failures with these 'credit card' keys but what the hire companies don't say (and there is never a manual in the car for some reason) is that there is a manual key that's very thin and hinges out from the side of the card. You then slide the button top on the drivers door to one side uncovering the manual lock. The next problem of course is how to start the car as normally you place the 'credit card' key in the slot and press the Start button although I am sure there must be a way round this.

The other thing that fails apparently is the electric hand break. When you remove the card the hand break goes on automatically but I have heard of cases when this either fails or there is a time delay (the latter I have seen first hand) and cars have 'rolled off' down a hill.

Technology, wonderful thing!

The answer might be in the Volvo prototype on TV a few nights ago (anybody see it? allegedly, totally designed by women[:)]) it featured a centre console capable of swallowing 2 whole womens handbags, and part gullwing doors; they were short doors, bottom cut off below the SIP and the bottom 30cm slide down into the sill. Lord knows how much all this weighed and what the power to weight was[8-|] 

[quote user="Quillan"]

Technology, wonderful thing!

[/quote]

Preserve me from it: please!

Mrs Gluey's Volvo has a penchant for dumping memory in the ECU: and the Lambda light pops up.

It's been on the clever state-of-the-art diagnostic stuff so often they have become chums!

But no one can tell me why!

Or cure it!

Give me twin 45DCOEs any day of the week (John  and JR will know this: they are Webber twin choke carbs used on racers mainly).

A certain person, with a certain new car, recently inadvertently pushed the master lock button whilst getting out of the car to check something in the boot. As the drivers door was open at that point, nothing happened. However, the door swung to, closed and all the locks operated.

Keys were in the ignition, handbag, coat, phone, purse etc were in the car........oops.

Recovery trailer and 3 hours later the main dealer had to 'break in' to open the car. Very embarrassing.

edit:  Where is a good, safe, accessible place to hide a spare key outside the car ??????

Luckily mine wont do that if the key is in the ignition, even if in the first position, It wont be long before I do get locked out though, according to how I park I often enter the car by the passenger door to get things out of the glovebox etc, however the courtesy light sender despite my best efforts does not work on that door, when I unlock the car with the keyfob it does not sense if I open the passenger door and automatically relocks after 30 seconds, so far I havnt left the keys on the seat yet but judging by some of the other places that I have "lost" them including the fridge it is only a matter of time.

With this in mind I have a spare key gaffer taped in a plastic bag and tywrapped in a secret and invisible place somewhere under the car.

My car is practically worthless but in your case if you do decide to hide a key somewhere I would recommend getting a spare key cut but not encoded so if found by thieves it will not start the car, you would also then have all of the original keys to present to the insurance assessor should your bagnole go walkies.

Luckily mine wont do that if the key is in the ignition, even if in the first position,

Are you really sure JR ? After all, the master lock function controlled from the drivers armrest window / lock panel (usual placing) is designed to be operated on the move, ie with the engine running / ignition on.

I thought that you meant the keyfob button, I hadnt thought about the insecure wusses button on the armrest that I never use.

Curious fool that I am I just could not resist trying out wht you describe (perhaps you knew that [6]?) and I cannot get it to lock me out, thankfully as I didnt fancy grovelling underneath to try and extricate my by now filthy spare key.

Had you by any chance left the engine running for the aircon as well?

I thought that you meant the keyfob button, I hadnt thought about the insecure wusses button on the armrest that I never use.

Curious fool that I am I just could not resist trying out wht you describe (perhaps you knew that [6]?) and I cannot get it to lock me out, thankfully as I didnt fancy grovelling underneath to try and extricate my by now filthy spare key.

Had you by any chance left the engine running for the aircon as well?

It wasn't me wot did it !

The 'certain person' is most certainly not an 'insecure wuss' and neither of us use such button normally, it was inadvertently pushed when opening the door (I believe - I wasn't there).

I did think you might try it [6] but imagined that you would have your spare key handy in case it worked as described.

The engine was not running, who needs aircon on a cold day in France ?

My concern is that it might happen to me at some time in the future when I actually get a chance to see the car, and drive it.

Archived