Complete France Forum

Farrah`s Story

krusty

If like me you missed it tonight , it is repeated twice over next weekend plus an additional program.

Farrah's Story
Saturday 25 July 9:30pm More4

Farrah Fawcett: A Life
Saturday 25 July 11:10pm More4

Farrah's Story
Sunday 26 July 1:10am More4

Farrah Fawcett: A Life
Sunday 26 July 2:45am More4

Maybe it's those forum rosy glasses again, Krusty - if it's not nice let's pretend it doesn't happen....and thanks for the heads up - like you, I missed it first time around.  Life isn't about just the glamorous stuff - the one good thing to come out of Jane Goody's life and death was a greater awareness of cervical cancer. 

Every so often something comes onto the television that is difficult to understand the motives behind it. Whatever the motives it was not for entertainment.  Nowadays we are fed on an almost endless supply of junk reality telly so when we see actual reality it can bring you up with a jolt.  It most definitely is not for the faint-hearted but it did leave me with a different impression of the one I had of Ryan O'Neal.   

Having watched it, it is clearly designed to just show the reality of cancer a disease we have not conquered, as opposed to statistics these are real people, film stars even. I think Farrah wanted to broaden peoples understanding. I hope most people never need to know but once you do you'll never forget, for the rest see my signature.

[quote user="krusty"]

How do you all feel about cancer ?

Would you rather not know ?

[/quote]

Having watched my parents die from lung cancer I would rather remember people at their best. But others do what they want to do.

John

Quite so, I'm sure we all try to remember lost loved ones at their best despite the other memory, but I'm glad programs like this (and others) show Cancer and it's attempted treatments for what they are; Farrahs doctor described it as a war against terrorists, which incidently the Human race, it's Scientists and God's are not winning. I believe the benefits of programs like this make more people aware, and inspire some to take up the fight until battle is done.

[quote user="Iceni"]Having watched my parents die from lung cancer I would rather remember people at their best. But others do what they want to do. [/quote]

I've nursed a number of people with cancer, right to the end.  Immediately, after their death, the enduring image is that of them on their death bed and you do think that you will never be rid of this image.  But after a period of time, I can assure you that this memory fades and is replaced with the image of their life before cancer.

One of those that I nursed refused to see anyone after her diagnosis so that she would be remembered as she was.  It was truly a sad and difficult time as I tried to stop people visiting her, including my own children who were living in the same house as she was.

But, as you said, everyone does what they think is right.

I watched the program last night , she was a brave lady allowing all her worst moments to be filmed.

I have know a few people die with cancer over the years , indeed two people we know have recently been diagnosed.

They have come across this new treatment "cyberknife" , it seems to offer hope to some.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1041642/My-life-saved-knife-wielding-robot-treated-Patrick-Swayze.html

http://www.cyberknifecentrelondon.co.uk/

Archived