Complete France Forum

restoring leather

woolybanana

Personally, I'd use a tack cleaning product as they are designed to feed leather rather than polish it.  Rather like old wood, just washing and covering up does more harm than good.  Go to your local Decathlon and look in the horsey department.

EDIT : Here you go:

http://www.horse-discount.com/tous-les-equipements-et-modeles-d-equitation-nettoyage-du-cuir.468.html

Don't wash it, as that will dry the leather out Wooly, There are several leather cleaners and then leather polishes. French product that is very good is StarWax,  Lotion Nettoyante Cuir, and crème rénovante cuir. Then just lots of elbow grease. I'm sure you will be pleased with the results

If it is really old dry and cracked then you can use just about any oil for the cleaning and initial feeding dependant on your olfactory preferences, word has it that Cooperlola feeds her leather with Castrol R40!

Being serious WD40 is very good for removing stains and olive oil as good as any for the initial feeding, I have a WW1 ammunition pouch that I had to feed several times like this before I could move on to the lanolin based leather products.

In the UK the cheapest place for leather cleaner/conditioner is usually a motor factor but in France you would just get royally shafted, I get mine from Lidl when they have a promo on cleaning stuff, - W5 soin pour cuir, and for cleaning I recommend the one sold at Ikea called Absorb, perhaps it has a different name in France, very good for stains but you then need a conditioner afterwards, I'm pretty sure that they also sell one.

Editted.

Here we go http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/30032293

The stuff at Decathlon looks British, is horsey stuff cheaper here I wonder?

I have a leather sofa and armchairs , I wondered what to use to clean them. I'll try and pick up some of your suggestions too. it does not need cleaning really, but the leather looks like it is thirsty as we say in French [:)]

Do you get what I mean ?

Mr Théière, please give news !!

If you care to PM with an email address, Wooly, then when I have a mo I'll scan and send you the British Museum's formula for restoration of leather: kindly given to me by the then head of conservation of such artifacts.

It is not just a matter of cleaning: it's also a matter of re-introducing essential oils and stuff used in the original tanning process and thereafter to "Feed" the leather to keep it soft.

On an ongoing basis, I have always used Connolly's preparations for maintaining and restoring leather.

http://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html?cr=1487&pr=1369&pdesc=connolly_hide_food_for_leather

That's interesting Gluey, how does the Brit museum's formula compare to pure neatsfoot oil which is made from the animal which you are trying to re hydrate the skin of? whereas connolly's are introducing the bee juice into the equation [:)]

Aah thanks Coops, it was hard to get hold of a few years ago as there were immitation products. its origin doesn't worry me as the leather comes from the same source as do meat products. Good to know why it went out of favour though.

[quote user="Théière"]That's interesting Gluey, how does the Brit museum's formula compare to pure neatsfoot oil which is made from the animal which you are trying to re hydrate the skin of? whereas connolly's are introducing the bee juice into the equation [:)][/quote]

PM me with an email address and I'll send you the complete information (2 XSheets A4).

Mrs Gluey and I used to own an antiques biz which she ran: and I used to restore all manner of things: including once, an old Enfield single shot rise and fall breech British Army rifle (Boer War era) found in the seller's old grandad's loft and absolutely covered in rust!

Deactivated; restored; and sold!

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I have a leather sofa and armchairs , I wondered what to use to clean them. I'll try and pick up some of your suggestions too. it does not need cleaning really, but the leather looks like it is thirsty as we say in French [:)]

Do you get what I mean ?

Mr Théière, please give news !!

[/quote]

One internet site I saw mentioned baby wipes for leather suites - we use 'leather wipes' on our sofa

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Frenchie"]

but the leather looks like it is thirsty as we say in French [:)]

[/quote]Tout a fait, Regine.  That's where the saddle soap comes in (see my link for the old wooly fruit.)

Are the chaps on their way?

[/quote]

I'll try the saddle soap, will have a look in the local Decathlon.

The chaps are getting ready, cleaning the camper van, running some errands, they re leaving on friday at 5, as Guillaume is still in school, he will only miss friday [Www]

He is excited!

Will never find the right words to thank you!

[kiss]

Archived