Complete France Forum

An interesting bit of racism perhaps

woolybanana

As indicated before in an earlier thread, my insurance company has been pursuing a claim on my behalf concerning the bust of the engine in the CC. The insurance company of those responsible paid up, though meanly, leaving some monies to be reclaimed directly from the garage owner. He paid one sum with ill grace and much moaning, but rejected a second sum. Subsequently he has agreed to pay this after a threatening letter from my protection juridique, but he will pay this monthly, just to be bloodyminded.

In his rather bitter letter addressed to me with the first cheque, he says the following  "Veuillez trouver un acompte de *** en remboursement  d'une facture que vous n'avez-vous-même payée, mais pour laquelle vous avez engagée une démarche dont la communauté anglaise en France est coutumière"

Leaving aside his ignorance concerning our origins, isn't that racism or are the Brits well known for pursuing their rights.

It's surely got to be worth a try, if only to imagine the veins pulsing on his forehead when the paperwork arrives!

It does appear that French people accept poor service far more than British people so maybe it was a shock to the garage owner that you didn't just shrug and give in.

Definitely not racism, he is expressing the opinion, presumably his, that the Brits are well known for this, and to be frank to a Frenchman I guess we are, a bit like an American tourist trying to hold youy liable for something.

I do think for the crack though you should fire off an official letter demanding an apology and the repayment of the outstanding debt in full immediately in return for which you will generously forget about his racist insult [;-)]

I do find it quite a French trait for businesses and individuals to refuse to take responsibility for ones errors and to put matters right, a bit like an employee scrapping a shhet of matal, roll of cloth, whatever, its the boss that has to replace it and pay the guys wages while he has another try, OK I buy into that and it was exactly that when I was employed, together with a bollocking or disciplinary action, but even at the age of 16 when I started repairing and welding cars I knew the distinction between a customer and my employer.

What did he mean about you not paying the bill yourself Wooly?

Yes, Chancer, it is all a bit complex. The bill for the faulty repair which was paid by the previous owner of the CC was deducted from the sum which the garage owner's insurance company (Axxa) paid me, presumably on the grounds that the work had not been done properly. The guy from the protection juridique said I was entitled to that money as it was effectively deducted from the money paid to me. The garage owner is not a happy bunny.

Probably not Idun, if he had been discriminated against because of his race then possibly, there is a government department responsible for this but their main thrust is people being refused job interviews or to view a flat to rent because of their Arab names.

I doubt whether they are going to get too worried about the sensibilities of another rich retired Anglais with the means to buy a mobile gin palace [;-)] Especially one that wasnt invited to live here

Blimey I have turned into Norman [:D]

[quote user="idun"] * as in les anglais meaning anyone vaguely suspected of being english, even if they are from somewhere else.[/quote]There is a Scots couple in the next door village.  I take great delight when people ask me if I know "les anglais" who live there, in saying "No" and looking very dim whilst they explain in great detail precisely where there house is before making a great show of the penny dropping and saying, oh, you mean "les Eccossais."[6]

As my conseillier at my banque said, 'Madame, vous n'est pas une etrangere, vous etes anglaise!'.

If I had been welsh or irish I think that he would have still told me I was une anglaise.

I suspect that if any of us come under this general heading are we supposed to have la flegme britannique? Would that mean that we should be above any comments such as our Banana has had to put up with?

Archived