Complete France Forum

I am in love with my chicken soup - can't get enough of it!

woolybanana

Take one chicken, remove the fatty bits, chuck it in water for an hour, bring to boil, and simmer; get rid of  the scum (à la Guardian this morning). Add leeks, onions, turnip, carrots, bouquet garni and a whole deseeded lemon, salt 'n pepper, a clove or two, bit or garlic, bit of curry powder. Simmer for two hours.

Strain, remove chicken bones. Add flesh and veggie to the liquid again plus some more carrots and leeks. Simmer for an hour.

Liquidize the lot until it foams.

Send your partner out of the room and have a culinary orgasm! Keep what is left over, if there is any but don't tell where it is stashed because you will want some more again and again.

[;-)]

You know I've been doing this for years, usually to finish up the remains of a roast chicken (or the turkey carcase at Chrisrmas - Yum!) I often add some egg-noodles for a bit of 'body' but I never thought to liquidise the soup!  I'll try that next time.

My variations on the above recipie

Include some chopped fresh chilli near the end of cooking (I like it hot)

I was given a large jar of preserved salted lemons so half of one of those instead of the whole lemon and no extra salt

No cloves for me- just don't like them

Oh yeah, serve with lots of freash crusty bread

I'm hungry now [:(]

Mrs Gluey and I use chicken carcasses, Woolly.

Buy English farm chicken (Free range) from Waitrose when two on offer, cheap: butcher the bird and freeze the joints.

Crush the carcasses into a huge stew pot and simmer with bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic cloves and a shallot or two.

Strain: pick of the meat from the carcasses: clarify.

Pinch of chilli; fresh ginger root chopped fine. Thicken with a little roux: aim for a clearish broth as against a thick soup.

Chuck in a tin of drained washed sweetcorn.

Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup.

Gorgeous!

In France butchers often sell chicken carcasses very reasonably.

I have done this for years now to make a chicken stock, though have refined it to picking off decent meat before adding at least a couple litres of water, boil and simmer for an hour at least, let stand overnight, then boil and simmer for at least an hour again before straining off just the juice, I used to pick out the bones from the rest but now I CBA (don't bother[:D]); I then use a gravy fat strainer and portion it out to freeze for making soups or casseroles. To make a soup, I fry off an onion until transparent and add this and whatever vegetables are seasonal or left over, simmer til soft enough and then thrash it with a hand blender, I like spinach with a swirl of greek yoghurt or sour cream[:)].

Wooly's method of using the whole chicken gives an entirely different flavour than the english method of using leftover cooked chicken bones.

Both are good, but I prefer Wooly's.

Another way is to leave the fat on,do the first stage simmering, then  leave it to go cold overnight in the fridge then lift off the solidified fat. Never had it liquidised though.

It's sometimes called jewish penicillin (cure for colds and flu.)

I got the impression Wooly coooked and blended the whole chicken, what a waste!

I agree that the butchered carcass is what should be used, I too make stock when I buy a whole chicken, they are just too expensive to contemplate here though.

When I do make stock I use the freezer ice cube bags to make ready to use frozen chicken stock cubes, they are really convenient.

Only one drawback, if you have a fridge-freezer like me that will not operate unless the room temp is above approx 8 degrees and you leve the property unheated whilts away you return to a chicken stock swamp at the bottom of the freezer [:(], it is even more disgusting when it has refrozen.

Editted. Pat posted while I was typing, I will give the whole chicken one a go when I can buy some cheap birds from Tesco's, not the Asiatic ones though as they can leave a sour taste in the mouth especially if ordered on the net [;-)]

Archived