Complete France Forum

UK and French Drink Prices

Quillan

Can anyone help me out please.

What is the price of something like a single "Grouse" Whisky in a UK pub these days?

What is the price of something like a "Grouse" Whisky in a French bar these days?

Are French spirit measures bigger or smaller and if so by how much?

How much is a glass of house red or white wine in a UK pub?

Ditto but in a French bar?

Many thanks in advance 'Q'

Quillan it also depends where in the country you are and type of premises , around here in Cornwall I have paid any thing from 1.80 to 2.80 for a pint of real ale , on a recent trip near London I paid  3.70 for a pint of real ale... so I assume its the same for other types of drinks too   

Like you Q I am well out of touch and having given up drinking dont even know the current prices in France.

I do think that you need to ask the volume question also regarding wine, here in France IIRC a standard glass of wine in a café is 12.5 cl, in the UK they look much larger these days.

I was in Paris once and there was a group of (English) braying yummie mummies doing their best and loudest impression of the (wish I could find the word to describe them) presenters on "Loose Women, they were quaffing wine from what looked like brandy ballons, probably half a litre capacity, I dont know whether the bar had them put by for tourists or the girls brought them with them but I have never seen wine served in anything but a 12.5cl glass elsewhere.

In most of the bars around here you can get a 75cl bottle of table wine, a merlot, or sauvignon blanc for about £6-£7 a bottle. Not worth getting a glass, which I have to say are always HUGE these days.

If I am drinking in a pub, which is rare, as I am 'the driver', then I'll have a half of guiness or perhaps lager with a shot of lime and it is about £1.50. Pints of real ale vary between around £1.45 a pint to one place, where no one I know drinks and they charge £3.60 a pint for lousy ale.

Spirits up here in the NE of England can be sold for very low prices, even as low as £1 a measure at some times of the day. I never have been a 'drinker' so don't know prices of the strong stuff.

The thing is I have a group coming to stay 'full board' and I usually sell wine by the half litre of bottle so I am OK with that but they may want it 'by the glass' so I need to know how much to charge. One of the group only drinks 'Grouse' and I don't have a clue what to charge per glass. Beer is OK I sell that at €2 for a small beer (like you get in a bar) where the local bar charges €2.30. I'm working on the principle that a bottle of 'Grouse' costs €18 in the local supermarket and it's 750cl so if memory servers you get 30 measures out of a bottle at around €2 per shot means a profit of about €45 which seems a lot. So I want to make my prices cheaper than the local bar, I don't want to rip them off but obviously I want to make a profit, likewise it seems a bit of cheek to go over and ask how much they charge.

In my restaurant, we charge the following...

Glass of table wine....€1,20

1 litre pitcher of table wine ...€5,80

750ml bottles of "fancy" wine go from €9 to €14

a glass of some of the fancy wines is €2,50

A shot of blended whisky is €3

a shot of malt whisky is €5 with a free mixer for the barbarians who want it.

a shot of armagnac, congac, baileys etc ranges from €3 to €4

[quote user="just john "]A local bar in France charges 3€ for a kir and a pression, whereas in the UK a 175cl glass of House Rose and pint of Doom bar will set you back a few pence under £7; well, sun's over the yard arm, don't mind if I do[B][/quote]I'll have the Doom Bar please.[:)]

Couldn't you buy a whisky from the local bar, Q?  In fact, in my experience, all bars have a price list on the wall (I think maybe they have to) so you could have whatever you fancy and have a decco at the list while you drink it.[:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"] I'll have the Doom Bar please.[:)] [/quote]

Me too, but where do you get it in France, I usually end up with a pression and some bottle Pelforth brune beer split (It does the trick)[B]

[quote user="dave21478"]  with a free mixer for the barbarians who want it. [/quote]

In China I was taken to dinner by a supplier and knowing I liked French wine he arranged for us to go to a 'French' restaurant, which to my surprise was quite good, especially the bottle of Chateau Laffite we drank, I say we, I had the majority of the bottle, after the first sip he topped his glass up with Coke and drank the mix until the can of Coke was gone.[:-))]

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="dave21478"]  with a free mixer for the barbarians who want it. [/quote]

In China I was taken to dinner by a supplier and knowing I liked French wine he arranged for us to go to a 'French' restaurant, which to my surprise was quite good, especially the bottle of Chateau Laffite we drank, I say we, I had the majority of the bottle, after the first sip he topped his glass up with Coke and drank the mix until the can of Coke was gone.[:-))]

[/quote]That story just makes me want to cry, JJ.

Having just got back from the UK, you are unlikely to find a small (125ml) glass of wine served unless you ask for it, they come in min 175, but more usually 250ml sizes.  Cost will vary depending on where - best value at pubs or "eating chains" such as pizza exp or garfunkels, but none are cheap by French prices.  Only bought one pint of beer and since it was all included in the bill I've no idea how much it cost.

Surely you could do a recce of the local bar, where prices have to be posted, or work out how much it costs for you to supply at cost and add some small amount for your profit?

Archived