Complete France Forum

British women top the Obesity league

NormanH

According to this report:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/nov/26/obesity-uk-eu-survey

I have to say that it confirms my impression of the tourists we see here now that we have Ryanair.

Before there were few Brits because it was a bit of a effort to get here, but now I see a good few of these whale weigh women unfortunatly dressed and wanting their white wine and sodas..

Norman, you are rushing in where angels and I feared to tread. Over the years, however, I have noticed that British ladies do seem to carry somewhat more avoirdupois that their continental counterparts, age for age. I always assumed that is was a result of adundant and exciting sex lives with their men demanding a little more meat on the bone, so to speak, but now I wonder if it not simply a question of too many trips to Macdonalds Fat Factory or Pizza Pig outlets?

[quote user="Frederick"]What is on UK TV most of the time Food .... Every advertising break trying to sell it and on most channels somebody showing how to cook it .... Its in peoples faces all the time they cant escape it if they put a t v on .[/quote]

But watching TV per se doesn't make you fat!

Unless, of course, you sit there stuffing your face at the same time [I]

And what must they look like with a tv on?   Surely even a skirt would be better than that.

There are no end of cookery programmes and recipes on French tv lately, it's the big thing (http://replay.fr/un-diner-presque-parfait-replay.html being one of the most popular).  It is so popular that apparently people are competing in their own homes amongst friends to see who can come up with the best meal, decoration, atmosphere and all.

But that doesn't mean they become obese.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

And what must they look like with a tv on?   Surely even a skirt would be better than that.

[/quote]

I presume you mean one of those massive plasma screen things, Christine?

I don't think an ordinary 24-inch will fit?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Which your recipes and apparent love of food suggests you might be, Sweets![/quote]

Undoubtedly, Wools, the price of slimness is eternal vigilance [:(]

Less than a couple of glasses of wine a week, very little bread and small helpings of everything [:(]

Then, 2 lots of Keep-fit and 2 longish walks weekly plus sweeping up leaves and wheelbarrowing them to the bottom of the garden daily[:D]

It's not pleasurable but then the results make up for it all:  waistbands that are nice and loose and generally feeling on top of the world [:D]

I relaxed a little tonight and ate my first bread since February, a vacuum packed naan bread crisped up in the haloogen oven eaten with a Ruby Murry.

It was well worth the wait, shame there was no lager though.

I am running first thing tomorrow so hopefully will burn it off.

[quote user="woolybanana"] I always assumed that is was a result of adundant and exciting sex lives with their men demanding a little more meat on the bone, so to speak, but now I wonder if it not simply a question of too many trips to Macdonalds Fat Factory or Pizza Pig outlets?[/quote]

Did you really think that? [:-))] A leap on some of these ladies'd surely be like jumping onto a trampoline and the fella'd bounce off. Unless ofcourse he was equally proportioned and then the mechanics of how any sexual contact would take place are something I'd prefer to not contemplate.

When I was a kid, the post cards at the seaside always showed jovial rounded ladies and the skinny ones were always shown as snooty and looked very unhappy.

I do not want to be thin again. Really I don't. I would have to be constantly dieting and I would be miserable, I think that I'd lose my sense of fun too. And if I end up thin again, it'll be illness that has done for me and what joy will there be in that, little.

Hooligan bread!  Not surprised that's what you eat!   (You came in between Idun, that was in reply answer to Chancer).   [:D]  

But wait, both of you (Chancer and Sweets).  On my favourite 100% Mag (after Un Dîner Presque Parfait) the other day they were saying what to eat to have a flat stomach and you could eat bread, preferably wholemeal.

If I can find it I shall be back.   [:)]

Archived