Complete France Forum

You can't beat a good shed

just john

I was listening to Radio Two today and there was something said about sheds ah yes I just found a link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/8924055/Why-every-man-needs-time-in-a-shed.html

Seems they are good for men's health.

Funny enough my father-in-law told me when I got married to 'get a shed' because it provides a bolt hole when things get stressful, "Every man should have a shed" he said.

My shed is now my UK home!

I am returning there tomorrow night, its not much fun arriving at 4 in the morning after a long trip and trying to get to sleep in a bad that will be at (I guess) 5 degrees and has been so for many weeks [:(] Still the place warms up quickly and is well insulated.

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Houses/CIMG0532.jpg[/IMG]

I have to do my tinkering in the garage/workshop now which is ironic as I first built the shed to get my woodworking machinery and all the dust etc away from the race car preparation and metal fabrication areas.

And what the articles said is very true, neighbours dont just drop by to put the worls to rights like they used to when they could hear me in the shed, now its more a formal visit, but they can still visit me in the garage.

We haven't a shed but a new workshop will be built soonish. We have never had a shed, but we have had a good workshop in the past and 'he' needs one at this house.

I believe that men need somewhere to call their own, to potter, to think, to do such work as pleases.

Ah yes, Mr Nectarine has his workshop stuffed full of man-stuff. He has never forgiven me for tidying it up when he was away for a week. I had a lot of boxes, put all the screwdrivers that I found lying on the floor, shelves, tucked in pockets, etc., in a box that I labelled 'Screwdrivers'. Did the same with spanners, allen keys, pliers, drill bits, etc. When I'd finished all the shelves were pristine and tidy, lots of boxes were clearly labelled and organised and the floor and his worktable were clean.

And he went potty when he saw it!!!

Apparently his 'system' was that he KNEW that the correct screwdriver for a particular thing was in a particular jacket pocket, that another screwdriver was on the floor in a dusty corner, that another that he used for something was hidden under a greasy rag ... yes he had a system (whatever it was) and I'd ruined it.

And still today, he surveys the boxes marked "Drill Bits", "Spanners" "Bolts" "Screwdrivers" and turns to me and says "I can't find any spanners, where are they?".

So, word of advice, never tinker in a man's shed. It's an insight into the deepest workings of their mind and, as such, is impenetrable and beyond logic!!!!

So, word of advice, never tinker in a man's shed. It's an insight into the deepest workings of their mind and, as such, is impenetrable and beyond logic!!!!

Never mind logic you risk being harmed! Tidying a workshop or a kick in the groin are the two things where we are just like you girls, it is never forgotten [:P]

My workshops are very tidy and ordered as are my houses in fact, it wasnt always that way, it started out through lack of space, which is still the case for my dwellings, and latterly because of my atrocious memory, everything now has to have its place and be stored in its place, while I am working if I put down my tapemeasure to free a hand it will gone from memory within 10 seconds, hence why I have to be so ordered.

When couples visit me the women dont seem surprised to see a tidy house as they probably are incapable of imagining what their domain  would be like in the hands of their husbands, but when doing a tour of the workshop or here in France, my chantier which is what everyone comes to see, they always exclaim loudly "oh its so tidy and organised! Why cant you be like that!"

Domain, the house, I should cocoa. I never look upon where I live like that.

And I would not dream of touching anything in the workshop. He is well organised until he decides to reorganise and shift things round and then cannot find anything at all. Somehow I get some sort of blame for that, unwise really to do that to me, but he still tries.

My 24 year old son has just bought his first shed. Mind you its here at home and we keep the garden stuff in it but he found it and ordered it and paid for it and then cleared the ground and constructed it. He seems to have inherited something of his dad's construction genes thankfully. I have to say though the shed came from Dorset, not here locally in France as they are made from something resembling balsa wood and cost the earth, whereas this is solid, well treated and cost under €400 including delivery via a local english agent.

Archived