Complete France Forum

Finally, I'm back in work again

Mr Ceour de Lion II

Not had a proper job since 2005. My self imposed working exile is over. Despite my degree being in graphic design, of course I was never going to get a job in it, but have landed on my feet somewhat as an RV salesman. The dealership is only 15 minutes drive from home, it's a family run business and is a very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere to work in. Good commission rate, and if the first weeks commissions are anything to go by, I should be making some good money, even though I'm in only 3 days a week.

Some of these big RVs are incredible though. Makes me think twice about camping. Can really see the appeal of touring the country in one of those big coaches. Might only do 12mpg, but petrol is still much cheaper than in Europe.

Feels good though, back in the land of the living again. And it's amazing how many other jobs I've been offered since taking this one.

Well done, Richard!  Congratulations!

A friend of ours here in France actually keeps one of these very large RVs in the states and have now holidayed in all the states except one.  They were doing that for a few years until they became French resident and now spend more time in France.

They must like your "cute" English accent or something, Richard?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Well done, Richard!  Congratulations!

A friend of ours here in France actually keeps one of these very large RVs in the states and have now holidayed in all the states except one.  They were doing that for a few years until they became French resident and now spend more time in France.

They must like your "cute" English accent or something, Richard?

[/quote]

Sounds great - I'm driving from Boston to Florida with a friend in the Autumn, I bet I'll be wishing I was in one of those RV's [:)]

Thanks all.

The accent certainly helps. Gets a lot of comments. Most people say I sound Australian which is funny. Some of my new colleagues are even picking up using my slang and phrases. No worries fits in perfectly.

Russet, I'd love to do a road trip of the US. I've seen so little since being here. I could only do it in one of those big campers though. I'm not a big fan of camping, especially when there are 4 star hotels nearby.

Well done to you, it touched a nerve with me.

My self imposed exile started in 2004 and come la rentrée I will start doing 10 or so hours a month as a language assistant for the lycée, no different from what I have always done as a benevole and its certainly not for the money but just a first tentative dipping of the toe back into what others call the real world.

The advantage that I see is that others will once again be able to pigeon hole me (incorrectly as ever) and then believe that they can relate to me, should reduce their confusion.

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]Thanks all.

The accent certainly helps. Gets a lot of comments. Most people say I sound Australian which is funny. Some of my new colleagues are even picking up using my slang and phrases. No worries fits in perfectly.

Russet, I'd love to do a road trip of the US. I've seen so little since being here. I could only do it in one of those big campers though. I'm not a big fan of camping, especially when there are 4 star hotels nearby.
[/quote]

Get them going on the rhyming slang

12mpg would certainly put me off getting a big camping car. I would rather like a small one that gets loadsa mpg.

I know the big ones are fabulous, but as they are so big, that I do understand why so many tow a car, or have one tucked underneath as when you get to where you are going, it must be easier to park up and visit/shop in a smaller vehicule.

Well done getting a job though Mr CdeL

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]Yeah, I think it's 3.8 litres to the US gallon as opposed to 4.5.

How much is petrol over there now? I don't know why it keeps going up here. Most of US oil comes from Canada. They need to start drilling in the US again.
[/quote]

Can't tell you how much per litre, Richard, but I tanked up my small Hyundai yesterday.  It was nearly empty and I paid 70 euros.

Congrats Richard.

Back in 1991 Mrs Benjamin had to give up her career because of her worsening MS symptoms. I worked on for a few months with my normal 14 hour days. I could see as time went on that she was very unhappy at spending so much time on her own so we decided that I should take a six month career break starting in the Spring of 1992.

So what did we do? We bought a 7.3 litre V8 petrol engined American RV. Unforgettable as we spent the next few months in France.

I was offered an Autumn/Winter gardening job which I took and we finally returned to England in the Spring of '93. The American had to go because of it's fuel comsumption but we then bought a car and caravan and for the next 17 years we then did exactly the same all over South Western Europe.

There are some things that you know you'll regret forever if you don't do them. We did our "thing" and have never looked back.

American R Vs- Brilliant.

Sweet - Wow, 70 euros is a lot. Last time I filled up over there in my small 206, it "only" cost 60 euros. I imagine the cars are a similar size.

In contrast, I filled up my 2.5 litre Mitsubishi Galant, and it cost $50 which is around 40 euros. Makes me laugh when the Americans complain about prices too.

Benjamin, sounds like that was a great opportunity. I think life is all about taking opportunities when you can. It's cost me dearly in some respects, but it has also been very fruitful in others. I had other work opportunities before this job came along, but I think I've made the right choice in holding out for this one. The most stressful thing about it is waiting for a paying customer to come along. I hope your wife is better now.

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]Yeah, I think it's 3.8 litres to the US gallon as opposed to 4.5.

How much is petrol over there now? I don't know why it keeps going up here. Most of US oil comes from Canada. They need to start drilling in the US again.

[/quote]

In the UK, the cheapest diesel we saw last week was £1.38/l = £5.24 per US gallon

Petrol was £1.34/l

The last fill-up we did in Luxembourg a few weeks ago was at €1.24/l (diesel).

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]Yeah, I think it's 3.8 litres to the US gallon as opposed to 4.5.

[/quote]

In the UK, the cheapest diesel we saw last week was £1.38/l = £5.24 per US gallon

Petrol was £1.34/l

The last fill-up we did in Luxembourg a few weeks ago was at €1.24/l (diesel).

[/quote]Our local super market is still selling Diesel at £1.37 and petrol at £1.33 so it pays to look around for the best deals.

Archived