Complete France Forum

Workers hours

NickP

A couple of days ago the cook Jamie Oliver was slagging off British youngsters, saying his restaurants wouldn't be able to operate without Eastern Europeans as the young Brits wouldn't do the long hours, yet I seem to remember that most surveys have said that Brits work more hours than many other countries. If my experience this week is anything to go by then Mr Oliver should be glad he doesn't operate in France .                                                   The roofers arrived Tuesday, pre arranged as we didn't get to France till Monday p.m. They get to the house at 8 am and start work, go to lunch at 12; then work 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.. As they were finishing today we said see you tomorrow, they said no we don't work Friday as we have already done our hours we only work Monday to Thursday. I have no problems with their work output or their hours, and the job is quoted for at a fixed price. I now understand why the man who did the quote said it would take four weeks, as in my mind the job would be just over two weeks. I just wish the big money earners like Oliver would pick up other subjects to generate self publicity rather than insult youngsters trying to get started and who only get paid basic wages, which seems to be a speciality of the catering trade.

We used to have to register doing 39 hour weeks with URSSAF every year and for those four extra hours, the social charges were 25% more ON TOP of the normal ones unless you had ten employees or more. Thats what does all the damage here, stupid taxes like that which bosses can ill afford. My builders at the moment come and go but the work has been done to schedule and I understand their need to run several sites at once as we always did so work was continous. Otherwise it is a fixed 35hour week.

[quote user="woolybanana"]They will have done their 35 hours per week, averaged out over the year and can't do more. Remember that overtime is either banned here or taxed to hell and back.[/quote]

Yeah, but like working on the black ain't? and by the way, overtime is not banned "here" and if your wages are paid in a total sum who knows what is overtime and how do they work out what part is liable to extra tax?  Lots of French workers are like UK firemen, work limited hours but have another job on the side. 

My farming neighbour can wax lyrical on this for hours, and knows more ways round the system than there are roundabouts in Milton Keynes. Because, yes, their one farm labourer IS supposed to only work a 35 hour week. Unfortunately cows don't obligingly knock off after 35 hours, and judging by the noise the other night, they're prone to do things like giving birth outside normal working hours. Likewise, and this year has been a classic example, you can't really run a farm on the basis that you will plant your crops for 5 hours on Thursday, whatever the weather and soil conditions, nor can you down tools to go home in mid-harvest just because you've worked your hours.

Their labourer has no time for an extra job on the side...once he has worked his "35 hour" week....[Www] Why, sometimes I've watched him moving bales of hay and straw whilst officially on paid holiday! They look after him very well, but that simply can't extend to ensuring he only works a 7 hour day, five days a week.

"if your wages are paid in a total sum who knows what is overtime and how do they work out what part is liable to extra tax?"

Erm, because all the details are on the payslip that goes through URSSAF, hourly rate times hours worked?

'Tax' isn't referring to income tax, it's the social charges. The worker might want to work more hours but the charges would practically bankrupt the company that employs him.

Mr Clair works a strict 35-hour week (3 x 9h + 1 x 8h), Monday to Thursday...

He used to work 40 hours, but the income-tax exemption on overtime was abolished...

But when there is a bank holiday "pont", he still gets paid for a normal "full" week, and the no-work day is considered "paid in advance" so he has to work the extra hours when the job requires it.

This week for instance, is a 5-day week...

[quote user="EuroTrash"]"if your wages are paid in a total sum who knows what is overtime and how do they work out what part is liable to extra tax?" Erm, because all the details are on the payslip that goes through URSSAF, hourly rate times hours worked? 'Tax' isn't referring to income tax, it's the social charges. The worker might want to work more hours but the charges would practically bankrupt the company that employs him.[/quote]

I understand what your saying, although I don't know what the URSSAF is or what it does, but what I do know after having a property in France for ten years; is that the French are the most practical people possibly in Europe for "ignoring" rules and regulations. Also I don't have a problem at all with a 35 hour week, I just wish it was for everybody in the world. But this posting was about a fat git from Essex with an NVQ in home economics who every time he gets someone to write a book on his behalf, comes over all pompous and starts telling us all how we should live according to his terms. There I've said it   [:P] that's for Mr Oliver.  [:D] 

'the French are the most practical people possibly in Europe for "ignoring" rules and regulations' - the important skill being to know which you can safely ignore and which you can't.

Is Mr O. fat these days? What, after teaching the nation about healthy eating? When I last saw him on TV he was a babyfaced strip of a lad, just starting to be obnoxious.

I have heard that he speaks very highly of you though Nick [:P]

Cant stand the bloke myself, can I join your club please?

I do recall seeing one of his first programs when he was very young and i did think that it was a breath of fresh air compared to the normal format that we had had since time immemorial, not realising just how omni-present and completely irritating he was to become.

People speak of cringeworthy moments in France when other Brits, often drunk become loud and obnoxious, the one I had was in a superb family run restaurant that provides expensive but superb gastronomic eating, a drunken Brit was attempting to show his pleasure at the meal but spoke no French, he just kept shouting "Jamie Oliver" at the top of his voice to the confused and embarrassed serveuse whilst giving a thumbs up gesture, I am glad that they didnt understand him or know of Mr Oliver as to me it would have been the ultimate insult.

Like many people I cannot abide Gordon Ramseys foul mouthed comportment although I suspect its just a successfull formula played up for the cameras, I do however have respect for his drive and determination, a once professional footballer who then restarted from scratch to train and work as a chef, take away the F words and the guy is capable of stringing a coherent sentence together.

Mr Olivers experience would appear to have been helping out in the kitchen of his fathers essex pub, I recall one of his programs where he was showing people how to make cheesy beans on toast (really healthy jamie) by turning a pop up toaster on its side and cooking the whole wet dripping ensemble therein, says it all really but the young and easily influenced are going to put themselves at risk by trying it if they are as or more stupid than him.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]"if your wages are paid in a total sum who knows what is overtime and how do they work out what part is liable to extra tax?"

Erm, because all the details are on the payslip that goes through URSSAF, hourly rate times hours worked?

'Tax' isn't referring to income tax, it's the social charges. The worker might want to work more hours but the charges would practically bankrupt the company that employs him.[/quote]

As you say Eurotrash all is there to see as a french pay slip is quite something to behold, about the only thing missing is clope breaks and how many time someone has used the chiotte, used in it's proper sense, and is not as I initially imagined...........a female pup.[Www]

And the URSSAF are, according to a friend who works in a bureau de paie, like the secret police, they go through everything, and sometimes stuff that doesn't concern them, and always with the finest of toothcombes.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I have heard that he speaks very highly of you though Nick [:P]

Cant stand the bloke myself, can I join your club please?

[/quote]

What else could he say Chancer, about a lad born in Dorking the home of the famous five toed chicken? As for the club; the waiting list is getting longer but for you, your in! Welcome. [:D]

Julia Bradbury............. when I see her on, as I am switching channel, I think WHY is she on tv?

I don't mind Alan Carr. I don't mind Jamie Oliver, but I don't like Raymond Blanc, the more I see of him, the less I like him.

edit, and I have to say who I loathe and detest....... Melinda Messenger.

thank you for your suggestions but unfortunately nominations can only be accepted from full members of our exclusive club, currently Nick P and myself [:P]

Start another thread cos it looks like there is no shortage of material [:)]

Wossy? Well when I was young and impressionable i thought he was cool, when I became wise enough to decide for myself what was cool and not be influenced by peers or media I though he was a t****r especially after the phone polemique, but then one day I heard him on radio 4 I think it may have been and it was probably the best and funniest show I have ever heard, never had the chance to hear him since, so yes the guy is very talented and a quick thinking entertainer.

Archived